Removing ownership, lock, and permissions requirements

SOLVED Discussion in 'Security' started by Garrison Watts, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Garrison Watts

Garrison Watts

Using Windows 8.1, Windows 7, and Vista.

From time to time various files and folders, some of which I've created and some of which represent downloads have turned up with various permissions and locks.

I would like every folder, and file on my computer (the entire computer, although maybe not system files) to be available to me without all this rigmarole to change permissions from read only, locked and owned by somebody else. Especially if I have created a document folder or file, I don't understand why I must take ownership and change permissions.

I'm willing to accept any security risk if there is any way to accomplish this.

Thank you I will appreciate any comments or advice.

Garrison Watts, Jun 20, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Garrison Watts

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

You're dealing with permissions that are inherited from the parent container.
    This is the default behavior on any OS using an NTFS volume (disk formatted as NTFS).
    You need to do some reading on this to understand how and why it works like it does and how to break inheritance at the parent container to objects inside so (files and folders) do not inherit permissions from its' parent or set the parent container properly to begin with so it doesn't inherit permissions that you don't want it to.
    And yes, you do not want to do this on system files and folders, leave them alone.
    Here's an article which explains it pretty good http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313398
    It's old but still applies.

Trouble, Jun 20, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Garrison Watts

Garrison Watts

I appreciate your comments and the information above. I think I can make do with that.

Thank you.

Garrison Watts, Jun 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question