Remote HDMI Streaming?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ian, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with HDMI streaming?

I'd be interested in streaming from my PC to the TV - but they are on different floors of the house. Getting a 15m HDMI cable isn't really ideal (or tidy!), so it would be nice to have some sort of wireless HDMI transmitter.

Has anyone had experience with this before and could recommend a cost effective solution? The only products I've found for under £100 provide wireless streaming over a very short distance (often just within the same room!).

Ian, Jan 9, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Are you talking about streaming video files from your PC, or the actual desktop of your PC?

Core, Jan 9, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

bassfisher6522

I haven't tried it but on newegg.com here in the states the site has a few choices to solve your problem. Here are a few brands to check into...some not so expensive and others way up there. I haven't looked in on any of the reviews either.

Ruku 2 HD and Ruku 2 XS

Slingbox 350 and Slingbox 500

WD TV Live and WD TV Live Hub

bassfisher6522, Jan 9, 2013
  4. Ian

Kougar Moderator

Most media extenders I know of actually use wifi, then have the receiving device convert the signal back for the TV. Almost every networking brand has some device or another for this purpose, but as Bassfisher points out Ruku and Slingbox and some others can do this as well. I am not personally familiar with any of the brands though so I can't recommend any of them, sorry!

I just ran an HDMI cable so I could pipe 1080p directly to my TV. HDTV bandwidth is a huge problem from what I remember, I'm not sure any currently on the market products can sustain a high bit rate 1080p stream reliably across more than one room.

Kougar, Jan 9, 2013
  5. Ian

Ian Administrator

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I may have to wait a little longer for this one. It's not a huge problem, but would have been nice to do if it was cheap :).

The entire desktop of the PC - although I supposed there may be a way to stream in realtime to the PS3 > TV. I'll do some googling :)

Ian, Jan 10, 2013
  6. Ian

Ace

Get an Apple TV. You can do lots more with it too, and it's ~$100 for all it gives you. You can stream from your PC over the network via HDMI to any device that supports HDMI input. I'm using it for my projector in my media room in my own house and it's great. I've got a media server set up and I can connect it directly to my PC or stream over the network with my setup.

Ace, Jan 14, 2013
    Ian likes this.
  7. Ian

Ian Administrator

Sounds like an interesting idea Ace - do I need any specific software to do that?

Ian, Jan 16, 2013
  8. Ian

Ace

A machine running Itunes and that's it lol. :) Only other thing you'd need is WiFi. I'm using one myself, and I can access music, videos and other stuff from my PC in terms of media, along with viewing videos on my monitor from Youtube, Netflix, and many other things directly through apps that are already on the Apple TV for you. In a few years, and because this is what I do for a career, I believe lots of things will be based off IP, and for TV, everything will be available on the internet, because it's a cheaper solution, and you'd get tons more with it.

Ace, Jan 17, 2013
    Ian likes this.
  9. Ian

Ace

I seen discussions about the Slingbox above. :) Anybody know Microsoft recently bought out R2 Studios and their patents? An owner of this company was a guy who invented that Slingbox, so I'm assuming Microsoft has an idea of the way today's trend is taking technology, and they want to be a part of this game as well.

This could be a good thing for me, since I work with this kind of stuff mainly. Perhaps we'll see some good software related to home automation/theatre systems from Microsoft soon as well? (Well more media-type stuff like the way Apple has been heading)

~Ace

Ace, Jan 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question