Reinstall or wipe partition?

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by themarting, Oct 22, 2013.

1. themarting

themarting

After the Windows 8.1 update I attempted to upgrade my system. Unfortunately I didnt have enough storage left to upgrade, so i bought a new SSD.

My current setup is 1 60gb SSD and a 1TB hdd. The SSD is split into two partitions, one is 35 gig, the other is 20. The 35 gig partition currently holds my windows 7 installation, while the 20 gig holds windows 8. When the new SSD comes in i want to use it for the windows 7 installation and free up the entire 60 gig for windows 8

So, my questions are:

1) Will I need to reinstall or is there a way i can reallocate the space from the 35gb partition to the smaller partition?
    2) If i end up needing to reinstall, will i have trouble using the key from my current installation on the fresh install? its been activated.

themarting, Oct 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. themarting

minisu

wipe partition is a better way to protect your PC

minisu, Oct 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. themarting

themarting

Nothing really ended up going well, so, i ended up reinstalling BOTH windows 7 AND windows 8. It all still doesnt feel right. Little things here and there arent working like they did before.

Im kind of regretting my decision, especially since the whole point was to be able to upgrade windows 8 to 8.1 and i cant even do that due to having moved my user folders.

themarting, Oct 30, 2013
  4. themarting

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

If your hard drive is only 60 gb to begin with, I'm not sure trying to cram two Windows installations on it is the way to go. Wipe the drive entirely and just install 8 and call it good, unless you have a compelling need for two versions of the same OS, in which case, why a 60 gb drive?

Core, Oct 31, 2013
  5. themarting

themarting

The issue has been solved fortunately. I guess i was pretty vague on it but i DID mention in my first post that I had bought a new SSD. This was an ADDITIONAL SSD with 128gb storage capacity to supplement the 60 gig. I did Install windows 8 on the 60 gig, And installed Windows 7 on the 120gig. The reason i run two OS's is that while I am used to and prefer windows 7, i definitely am warming up to windows 8, and my fiance prefers windows 8. Im easing my way into windows 8 while all my "work" stuff stays on the windows7 partition where i know it runs flawlessly

themarting, Oct 31, 2013
  6. themarting

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

That makes sense. I am really glad that SSDs are finally starting to come down in price. Make sure you use some sort of backup solution for your data, even if everything functions well.

Core, Oct 31, 2013
  7. themarting

themarting

Im glad they came down in price too! I only paid $79 dollars for my SSD, granted, its an AData and uses a sandforce controller, but i havent had any issues yet. Also, its SATA III compared to the 60 gig which is an OCZ Vertex 2 and only SATA II.

Hopefully these two SSD's along with my two 1TB Caviar Blues will last me long enough to see terabyte SSD's become affordable.

themarting, Oct 31, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question