Recovery question

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Tine312, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Tine312

Tine312

I recently bought and HP Envy, and after getting some support from an HP tech guy, I received 3 discs in the mail that say System Recovery DVD for Windows 81 Recovery Media. Today I saw an alert in HP Assistant telling me I need to make a recovery set to backup the recovery partition on my hard drive. Are the disks that the tech sent me the same thing as if I were to make my own backup of the recovery system on the hard drive that HP Asst is suggesting I do now?

Also, this is my first laptop, but I have used others so I am not unfamiliar with how a mouse works on a laptop vs a regular mouse. However, on my Envy this touchpad is nothing like I have ever seen in the way it responds! I have been having a very difficult time with it, it seems to have a mind of its own, opening windows without me clicking on them, and when the pointer is just hovering bam! another window opens..I tired to fix it in control panel, but when I set it to 'max" for the sensitivity than other things stopped working (which it tells you it may do this). I finally had to take my wireless mouse from my old PC and use that instead. I would like to use the touchpad that came on the laptop. Is this a common problem and can you suggest anything to help me use the touchpad or fix it, or could it just be on this laptop?

Tine312, Aug 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Tine312

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

For the touchpad/trackpad, you should probably turn off mouse gestures and see if that helps all the seemingly random uncontrollable behavior.

As for comparing what the difference might be between what you have from the manufacturer in the way of restoration media and what you might make yourself I really can't say.
    I will say that it couldn't possibly hurt to have a second set, if that is all it does.

Personally I prefer using something like Acronis True Image Home to create a full system image periodically. That way I know, I have something current and I actually know what's there as I can mount the archive and explore it to confirm its' content and viability

Trouble, Aug 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Tine312

Tine312

I looked at the mouse & touchpad settings on my laptop to turn off the settings as you suggested, but there is no way to do that. If you know of a way , and I am just not seeing it, please let me know. If only it was that easy. When I look at the touch pad settings, it says device is working properly.

Tine312, Aug 16, 2014
  4. Tine312

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

If you look in the control panel, you'll likely see a separate piece of software just for your touchpad. Depending on the manufacturer it may have their name associated with it.
    Something like Synaptic, Elan, Alps, etc.,
    I wish I could be more specific, but within those Control Panel Applets their is likely to be a means of adjusting or disabling the gesture function.

Trouble, Aug 16, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question