Re-storing individual files to the registry?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JRoy, May 26, 2015.

1. JRoy

JRoy

Hi, I recently deleted a folder in my registry. Before doing so, I saved a backup of this individual folder rather than creating a backup of the entire registry (though I wish I could go back and save the whole thing). I now need to restore that folder, but my question is- do I need to navigate several steps to the exact branch where the folder was originally located before I import, or can I simply open the registry in general and import and the backup folder will come in and work correctly? And does the backup folder need to have the same name as the original folder? I ask because my computer is not functioning correctly and it is hard to navigate to the original branch location. Thanks.

JRoy, May 26, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. JRoy

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Typically I would think that you saved the Key with the proper name and .reg file extension value then simply double clicking the .reg file and choosing "merge" would put things back as they were.

Trouble, May 26, 2015
    Shintaro likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question