Rapid Start Won't Install

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Dipsy, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Dipsy

Dipsy

Installed a new ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboard, an Intel i5 4670 Haswell CPU and 16 GB or RAM. Flashed to latest UEFI, chipset drivers, etc. Tried to install Rapid Start and get an error message that "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". Windows 8.1 is installed and running on a Samsung 840 SSD. Sleep mode is finally working but when I wake up the computer it takes about 30 seconds or so before a program will open. I suspect not having fast start is a reason. This computer is up to date and I can't figure out why Fast Start won't install since the error message doesn't tell me what the problem is other than not meeting minimum requirements.

I just noticed in the UEFI under Rapid Start (which is enabled) there is a greyed out line that says "no valid partition". No idea what that is or if it relates to the problem.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Dipsy, Nov 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Dipsy

Kougar Moderator

That'd be the problem then! You must have enough space left on the SSD to create a specific Rapid Start partition, and it must be of equal or larger size than the RAM in the system. You will likely need disk management tools to shrink the main partition to make enough available space for the Rapid Start partition.

Kougar, Nov 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Dipsy

themarting

I had no idea this was a thing. Looking at rapid starts website it says about 6 seconds, which isnt a HUGE improvement over SSD boot times. The benefit though is that it looks like it saves your state more completely and you can resume exactly where you left off

themarting, Nov 25, 2013
  4. Dipsy

Dipsy

Space shouldn't be a problem. The drive properties indicate 238GB capacity, 58.2GB used and 179GB available.

Dipsy, Nov 25, 2013
  5. Dipsy

themarting

do you actually have to create a partition for Rapid Start though? Or does it do it automatically.

themarting, Nov 25, 2013
  6. Dipsy

Dipsy

One would certainly think that a program would set up whatever parameters are necessary for it to run. Just took a look at my other computer running Windows 8.1 and it doesn't have Rapid Start installed and there isn't any reference to it in the UEFI. It resumes from sleep instantly.

Dipsy, Nov 25, 2013
  7. Dipsy

themarting

There may be something wrong with the installation then. I misread and thought booting up took 30 seconds. theres no reason waking from sleep should take 30 seconds. Are there alot of application being activated on wake?

themarting, Nov 26, 2013
  8. Dipsy

Dipsy

I have pared my startup items down to a bare minimum, turned off live tiles, disabled syncing and networking and anything else that isn't essential. I'm about at my wits end with the sleep mode problem and taking so long to respond after waking the computer up. It's not a huge problem but just an irritant since the machine functions normally otherwise. Don't really want to do it but I may have to revert to Windows 8 and start working forward from there.

Dipsy, Nov 26, 2013
  9. Dipsy

themarting

you mention your other system has no issues with it. what is your hardware configuration and how does it differ from the other system. I imagine theyre both pretty new systems.

Reverting may be the best solution if it worked before.

themarting, Nov 27, 2013
  10. Dipsy

Dipsy

Primary: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
    Second: ASUS P8P67 Pro

Primary: Intel Core i5 4670 Haswell
    Second: Intel Core i5 2500k Sandy Bridge

Primary: 16GB Crucial Memory
    Second: 8GB Crucial Memory

Primary: Win 8.1 on a Samsung 830 SSD
    Second: Win 8.1 on a Kingston SSD

Primary: ESET Nod32 AV
    Second: Windows Defender AV

Primary: Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card.
    Second: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card.

Primary: EVGA GT 640 video card.
    Second: ASUS HD 7700 video card.

The primary machine has a bunch of programs such as EASEUS TODO backup, Band In A Box, Paint Shop Pro and other programs for day to day use. The second machine only has Windows Live Mail, IE
    and Firefox installed (I just haven't gotten around to installing stuff since I haven't been using the machine much). Both machines have been updated with latest drivers and UEFI and Creative is supposed to be releasing a new 8.1 sound card driver in January.

I have cloned my primary machine OS onto another SSD and I'm going to begin removing programs one at a time to see if I can figure out which one might be responsible for the sleep problem. Last night I removed Nod32 AV and activated Windows Defender. Waiting now to see if the sleep problem returns since I had to reboot to finish uninstalling Nod32. It may be a long, drawn out process since I have to wait for the issue to resurface and I never know when that will happen. I'm also going to install the motherboard that I took out of the primary machine (ASUS P8Z77V Pro) into the second machine as soon as I get a couple sticks of memory for it. If the sleep problem returns to the second machine it may incriminate the motherboard as the culprit.

Dipsy, Nov 27, 2013
  11. Dipsy

Kougar Moderator

This isn't a question of space, it's a problem of formatting. Specifically, you formatted the entire SSD to NTFS which your motherboard doesn't use for storing RAM data. You must leave part of it unformatted so that the motherboard / UEFI can natively store the RAM's contents to the disk.

Here's Intel's PDF on Rapid Start. It also has a section showing one way to modify your disk partitions to make the necessary space. http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/rapid_start_technology_user_guide.pdf

Kougar, Dec 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question