Questions on the "August Update" update

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by balubeto, Aug 24, 2014.

1. balubeto

balubeto

Hi

There is an ISO MSDN that integrates the "August Update" update of Windows 8.1 Update? If no, when I install this operating system on a new computer, what would be the proper procedure to install this particular update?

This update must be installed before the other or not?

It Is possible to download this update so that I can install it also on a computer offline?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, Aug 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. balubeto

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

The only thing I see on TechNet is "Windows 8.1 with Update" which is dated April 8th 2014 so that would be "Update 1".
    And I believe that the so called "August Update" is now just an accumulation of 10 or so component updates after what I think was a major fail as it left some computers in pretty bad shape.
    Lot of info out there in Google world about the "August Update" and the releveant "4" KBs included that you might need to uninstall (somehow).

Trouble, Aug 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. balubeto

davidhk129

..........when I install this operating system on a new computer, what would be the proper procedure to install this particular update?...............

In order to get the August Updates, you must have Win 8.1 Update 1 installed, without which August Updates will NOT be offered to you.
    Depending on HOW you install Win 8.1.
    1) If you start with installing Win 8 and after you have all necessary updates installed, then you will need to go to Windows Store to upgrade to Win 8.1 which will include Update 1. Once that done, you will be offered the "august updates" which will come in batches at interval time through your Windows Updates application.

2) If you buy a retail Win 8.1 software and install it, then you will go to Windows store to install Win 8.1 Update 1. Once that done, you will be offered the "august updates " as stated above.

davidhk129, Aug 24, 2014
  4. balubeto

davehc

balubeto.

There is no longer a Technet subscription site, so, referring to your post. Where do you see that particular OS on the MSDN download site?

This is all I see:

Windows 8.PNG

As Trouble says, this does not incorporate the so-called "August" update. In fact, for the time being at least, this update has been withdrawn so I truly doubt you have seen it available on any Microsoft pages.

davehc, Aug 25, 2014
  5. balubeto

Actually there is.... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/
    I logged on to check before I posted above.
    Not sure for how much longer, but those of use who got the 90 day extension are still getting access.

Trouble, Aug 25, 2014
  6. balubeto

davehc

That is the Technet evaluation center. Not a great deal of downloads there. The Windows 8 evaluation has been available for quite a while, but, of course, you would still need a key to activate and run it indefinitely. Quite different. I was referring to the old subscription center,almost the same as the one below.
    This was the official announcement.

"
    Microsoft is retiring the TechNet Subscription service
    On July 1, Microsoft announced the retirement of the TechNet Subscriptions service to focus on growing its free offerings, including evaluation resources through the TechNet Evaluation Center, expert-led learning through the Microsoft Virtual Academy, and community-moderated technical support through the TechNet Forums to better meet the needs of the growing IT professional community. Effective September 1, 2013, TechNet Subscriptions are no longer available for purchase through the TechNet Subscriptions website."
    :

MSDN.PNG

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    davehc, Aug 26, 2014
    Trouble likes this.
  7. balubeto

What some may see at that URL and what I see may vary.
    TodayOnTechNet.PNG

Trouble, Aug 26, 2014
  8. balubeto

davehc

When my subscription eventually expired, I could still access the page you have shown. (I can now) But clicking any of the downloads offered only took me to the specific download list, with the message that none were available as my subscription had, indeed, expired.
    Your link, oddly, took me to the evaluation centre, which I do sometimes use.

Eg:
    Subs.PNG Subs.PNG

But, perhaps we have digressed. The OP appears to have solved the problem as he has not responded?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    davehc, Aug 27, 2014
  9. balubeto

I expect to be seeing that soon as well.
    But for now it's still alive and kicking as I just downloaded Vista 32bit Enterprise and grabbed a product key.
    Not sure why:)

TechNetToday.png

Trouble, Aug 27, 2014
  10. balubeto

davehc

I guess you must have slipped through the cracks. Vista is still available on my MSDN sub, but, as far as I am aware, it is no longer available through any other Microsoft resources, other than to buy it as an ISO download from MS. Well done.

davehc, Aug 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question