Question on customizing the Start screen

Discussion in 'Customization' started by sethm1, Oct 21, 2012.

1. sethm1

sethm1

With Windows 8 I am a bit concerned that when I upgrade from 7 to 8 the new start up screen will be full of all of my apps/programs. I have a desktop.

So - much like my iPad & my Android smart phone, can I drag and drop apps into each other and create folders that will "house" similar apps?

Hope that made sense.

Thx.

sethm1, Oct 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. sethm1

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

No, but you can group icons. For instance on my Start Screen I have my most used apps in the first group, games in the second, and various utilities in the third. You can remove and add apps to the Start Screen as you like.

Core, Oct 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. sethm1

sethm1

I think we are speaking of same - I may have been confused with the term "Start up screen"
    What I meant was the "New" Start screen - the screen that has with what I refer to as Tiles.

So is the grouping process the same as iPad & Droids?

sethm1, Oct 22, 2012
  4. sethm1

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

No, not the same. I wish it were, to be honest. You can only group apps/icons next to one another, into lines of icons, and separate each group with an empty space.

Core, Oct 22, 2012
  5. sethm1

sethm1

Wow. Bummer.
    Win 8 such a change, seems that having the option to place all related audio apps in one folder a blunder on M/S's part.
    I guess that's what the desktop is for. But then so silly to go back and forth (between the Start screen and the Deskto).

sethm1, Oct 22, 2012
  6. sethm1

lucasbytegenius

How do you edit that though? I rearranged my Start screen so many times and I never saw an option for groups.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 22, 2012
  7. sethm1

brkkab123

I finally have Windows 8 & Start8 installed. Start8 is terrific and can & does automatically boot to the desktop.

brkkab123, Nov 3, 2012
  8. sethm1

davehc

davehc, Nov 3, 2012
  9. sethm1

brkkab123

Good article Dave. I'm just using Start8, so while I'm on the desktop I've got everything there. Instead of having to go from desktop to start and back to desktop. The one weird thing I did notice after doing the full upgrade from 7 to 8, transferring everything over to 8. The start screen is basically empty. Out of everything I already had installed in 7, only TuneUp Utilities and Norton Internet Security are in the Start screen.

brkkab123, Nov 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question