Question about Windows Explorer customizations

Discussion in 'Software' started by rk4262, Dec 18, 2014.

1. rk4262

rk4262

I hope this is the right section, I debated on putting it here in software, or in customization's, and decided it would probably be more software related, if it should go there feel free to move it. In my Windows Explorer, I have went in and set it up to always sort by date, then group by date, and that works great. My problem is two things actually but they are related. Starting with Windows 2000 through 7, I could set default download folders. For instance If I was downloading a picture it automatically downloaded to the picture folder. If I downloaded a program installer it automatically went to the downloads folder, I could get it set up that way, and I never had to change it, because the os would detect the type file, and download to the folder for that type of file. However in 8.1, I can't get it to do that. I have had to move so many pictures from the download folder, and no telling how many program installers from the picture folder, because it is just automatically selecting the last used folder. Is there a way to change that, so that the os determines the file type and puts the downloaded file in the correct folder for that type file?

Next issue is almost the reverse of that, I am kind of in-charge of finding pictures for a forum I'm on, so I download, then upload a lot of pictures, as I said I have my pictures folder to sort by date, then group by date also. But when I am on my forum and I start to upload the last few pictures I downloaded, the explorer upload window opens, and every os before 8, that upload folder would be sorted and grouped the same way as the main folder. But now I have to just hunt through over 100 pictures to find the last three I downloaded, and they are not grouped together. I don't see any type of organization, it looks like the pictures are just placed randomly in the upload window.They aren't sorted by date, or name, and I still can't figure out how they are actually sorted. I know how to open Windows Explorer and sort and group, but I can not find a way to make the upload folder sort and group by date. I have always been able to click upload, and the window would open, and and the last pictures downloaded would be the first pictures listed, is there a way of making 8 do this the way the older os's have done it?

Thanks for your help. If you need any more information, or if I didn't make something clear please let me know.

rk4262, Dec 18, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question