Programs keep re-installing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Richard Miller, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Richard Miller

Richard Miller

I spent 4 hours with my wife Windows 8 laptop uninstalling 50 programs I know didn't belong there and they just keep coming back. I uninstalled them many times and they just keep coming back. Can anyone suggest anything about this problem? I'm also careful when I install a new program to uncheck all the crap that they want to install. Also I can't even get to a Internet site because a dozen pop up won't let me.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    Richard Miller, Nov 26, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Richard Miller

airplayne

Were they pre-loaded on the computer when you got it, or were they installed afterward? If it is the latter you could just wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows. That is really the only way to be sure to remove any unwanted bloat/malware be sure that nothing is left in the registry, or anywhere else for that matter.

airplayne, Nov 26, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Richard Miller

davidhk129

1. Disconnect your computer from internet connection.
    2. go to Safe Mode..... assuming you can still login to your account......
    go to Charm bar (Win logo key + C key ) > select Start > type msconfig > click msconfig.exe > click Boot tab at the top > check the box in front of Safe boot > OK when done.
    Restart computer. You will be led to Safe Mode > login to your account > run a full virus scan.
    Does the scan find anything?
    To get out of safe boot mode.......
    Repeat the above procedures (#2), but this time UN-check the box in front of Safe boot > Ok when done.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    davidhk129, Nov 26, 2013
  4. Richard Miller

MyDigitalpoint

I found myself that some programs can be uninstalled from the control panel but they leave junk that cannot be removed.

I installed a software called "teachers planner" and it's not longer installed but the metro screen displays icons to the nonexistent software and a directory that it created and who knows where it is.

Another software loaded a "sleeping" watcher to monitor pending daily tasks. I removed it and, again, everything was gone except that watcher.

Wouldn't be an application that remove automatically all those orphans?

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 27, 2013
  5. Richard Miller

Dipsy

Computer programs are notorious for leaving behind a bunch of detritus when uninstalled. I've used a program called Revo Uninstaller that will dig a bit deeper to remove stuff normally left over. I haven't tried it on Windows 8 though.

Dipsy, Nov 27, 2013
  6. Richard Miller

MyDigitalpoint

I will give it a go because from the control panel says none of those programs are already installed, but I just opened the registry and yes, they left a ton of junk, but I wouldn't like to mess up the registry deleting manually something that I should better not.

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 27, 2013
  7. Richard Miller

airplayne

Do a search for Revo Uninstaller like Dipsy mentioned. See if they have either released a version for Windows 8, or if the existing one is compatible.

airplayne, Nov 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question