Product Key troubles

SOLVED Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Joker, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Joker

Joker

Hey there!

I have just recently reinstalled Windows 8.1 on my laptop which a friend gave me a install DVD. But there is one problem, it is for Windows 8.1 Pro, which I do not have a product key for. I did install it using the generic key provided by Microsoft. Most likely it wont last forever which I don't want. I do however have a Windows 8 Core key which was integrated into my laptops BIOS but I want to put it on my Windows 8.1 Pro installation. Is it possible or should I simply resort to other methods?

Thanks!

Joker, Dec 20, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Joker

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I may be wrong, but I believe in your particular situation (without the 8.1 product key) you'll have to reinstall Windows 8 ( to satisfy the product key problem) and then obtain the free upgrade to 8.1 through the Microsoft Store.

I don't believe there is any way around that, which is insanely aggravating because when you think about it a bit, it would be like requiring a different product key to install Windows XP (with SP3 integrated) when you only had a product key for XP..... it's kinda ridiculous.

Trouble, Dec 20, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Joker

Joker

Update: I have downloaded a Windows 8.1 Core iso and I will proceed from there.

Joker, Dec 20, 2014
  4. Joker

Joker

Ok so I installed Windows 8.1 Core and it recongised the BIOS product key and installed sucessfully.

Joker, Dec 22, 2014
  5. Joker

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Good to hear. Glad you managed to get it resolved to your satisfaction and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.

Trouble, Dec 22, 2014
    Joker likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question