Popping and static in headphones

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lucasbytegenius, Dec 23, 2012.

1. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

For some reason in Windows 8 there's always this constant popping and crackling in my headphones. Tried updating and changing drivers and settings, couldn't fix it. I even followed some instructions online on how to fix it by wrapping the cables in foil. No dice.

Then I noticed that whenever it popped, the audio level would shoot up in the volume popup. Bizaare. All the inputs are disabled too :(

lucasbytegenius, Dec 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. lucasbytegenius

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Is this still the same installation of Windows 8, or a new one? I thought you went back to 7?

I haven't had that issue with my headphones. Could this be an issue with the headphones themselves or their cabling?

It might also be worthwhile to fiddle with the "let applications take control/priority" settings...

Core, Dec 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

I was posting an issue I had with Windows 8 before I went back to 7. It's definitely not the headphones themselves, as the popping doesn't exist when plugged into my iPod or while being used on Windows 7.

I fiddled with those settings as well as pretty much every sound setting I could find on Windows 8. Nothing would fix the popping :(

lucasbytegenius, Jan 9, 2013
  4. lucasbytegenius

Kougar Moderator

Only guess I have is that the volume controls were out of sorts. On many systems if you drop the volume on the speakers or headset to the lowest level, lower the volume in the software playing the music, and then max out the OS volume slider to max it can make audible line noise that otherwise wouldn't be heard.

Kougar, Jan 9, 2013
  5. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

I did that too, nothing fixed it. I thought I had a solution for a short while when I adjust the audio quality settings, but it never stuck.

lucasbytegenius, Jan 10, 2013
  6. lucasbytegenius

bassfisher6522

Are you sure you have a windows 8 sound driver for you sound card or onboard sound? Or are you using the windows 8 generic sound driver when windows 8 was installed? Non compatible drivers cause such issues, worth checking into.

bassfisher6522, Jan 10, 2013
  7. lucasbytegenius

Nibiru2012 Moderator

It's your hardware, pure and simple. No other explanation needed.

Either you have a defective onboard chipset for the audio, or the sound card is bad. Since you're having issues with both Windows 7 & 8, then it is certainly not driver or OS issues.

Nibiru2012, Jan 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question