Poor Speed comparison

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehc, Mar 30, 2012.

1. davehc

davehc

I have to wonder where I have setup wrongly. I am not concerning speeds here, only comparison times. This is a quite average machine, as you can see. I have Windows 7 ultimate. and windows 8 consumer (installed last) on the same computer and HD, in a dual boot environment. To the best of my ability, both are customised to the same extent.
    Prefetch has been allowed to "settle in". I had to make Windows 7 as the default boot, to avoid the reboot function on Windows 8, into Windows 7. This would have added about 11 seconds the windows 7 boot time, otherwise.
    The problem is that I cannot deny the flood of reports that Windows 8 is faster. Many of these reports claim
    outstanding figures. Where are they coming from? (In Windows 8, everything was started from the Metro interface).

Windows 7 Windows 8
    Startup (Bios
    to useable desktop/Metro
    inc Internet connection). 43 secs 41.5 secs
    --
    Open IE to Google 1.2 secs 1.1 secs

Open IE to webpage 4.4 secs 4.2 secs

Open Live Mail (No Mail to
    collect, inc Live login) 5.2 secs 5.4 secs

Paint 1.0 secs 1.2 secs

Control Panel .2 secs .4 secs

davehc, Mar 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. davehc

Ian Administrator

What are your system specs Dave?

I'd have thought that the boot times would have been a bit faster for Windows 8, as it's seemed pretty speedy to boot for me. How long does it take to get to the logon screen?

Ian, Mar 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. davehc

davehc

As I said, I was not discussing speeds, only comparison on the same (no longer young - average) computer. Since the original Vista betas, the start-up speeds have remained pretty much the same on a fine tuned start procedure.
    I have an automatic logon, and, as stated, timed both OSs to a fully useable desktop/Metro.
    But, I have satisfied myself now. On another forum, it evoked a lot of response and it seems that most knowledgeable users are getting the same comparative performance. The outstanding claims from many users seem to be coming from an overworked imagination!

Sorry for the poor layout of the post. It looks fine on other forums, but for some reason, in spite of re-editing, I cannot get the columns matching.

davehc, Mar 31, 2012
    Ian likes this.
  4. davehc

zacker150

Boot seems a lot faster for me. From what I've heard it's supposed to be nearly instant if you have an SSD as your hard drive (which i don't :( ).

zacker150, Apr 4, 2012
  5. davehc

davehc

" it's supposed to be nearly instant if you have an SSD as your hard drive" Just so the thread does not drag out too long, I'll jusy emphasise, again, that this was a comparison between the OS's on the same machine.

davehc, Apr 4, 2012
  6. davehc

zacker150

Was this a startup after a fresh install or was it where you started it up, shut it down and started it up again? The speed boost in start-up is since instead of doing a "cold boot" where it retrieves all the individual drivers and components of windows, it does a "lurkwarm boot" where during shutdown, it puts an already loaded version of the drivers and componets of windows into one dump and it stores it on the hard drive. The next time you start it, instead of loading each individual part, it just loads the "dump" into the memory for faster start-up.

zacker150, Apr 5, 2012
  7. davehc

davehc

Both OSs are starting under the same circumstances - ie, a reboot followed by selecting the required OS from the replaced Boot manager default. I have read the blog by Sinofsky, regarding the storage of the drivers, as you mention, but cannot find, even after questioning on Microsoft's own pages, where exactly this is stored. Examination of the event viewers, under any circumstances, do not show any detectable differences. But the reference indicates a hibernated state, which could also be achieved with Windows 7 to facilitate the start-up.
    This is not a complaint, but more a quest for more information. I do not, in my method of daily usage, consider start-up or shutdown times to be an important function for a desktop computer.

davehc, Apr 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question