PC wont return from sleep mode

Discussion in 'Crashes, BSODs and Debugging' started by sTs9JaMs, Feb 23, 2013.

1. sTs9JaMs

sTs9JaMs

If I put my PC to sleep and try to wake it up, it freezes instantly. It didn't do this until I upgraded to Windows 8. Any ideas would be appreciated because I am clueless.

sTs9JaMs, Feb 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. sTs9JaMs

DarkRepulser

That's odd. Your system freezes instantly after waking up from sleep? Or is it a different phenomena we're talking about?

DarkRepulser, Mar 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. sTs9JaMs

Kougar Moderator

It's most likely a driver issue then. You should visit the manufacturer's website (or if you built it the motherboard maker's driver page) and install all the available drivers for your system. Especially the chipset and mot recent graphics drivers.

Kougar, Mar 8, 2013
  4. sTs9JaMs

Lokitns

I got this issue for a few months, a bios update fixed it; something in my chipset went wonky when I was installing drivers I guess. Be careful if you're going to flash your bios though, I'd suggest exhausting ALL over possibilities before resorting to that. As if you mess up it can cause a LOT more serious problems.

Lokitns, May 22, 2013
  5. sTs9JaMs

rkendle53

Most likely this issue is with one of the ACPI drivers. Have you attempted to update your video drivers? Typically video is one of the most taxing things to recover from after any kind of standby, also are you receiving any BSOD's?

rkendle53, May 22, 2013
  6. sTs9JaMs

cezovski

I can't offer any suggestions, but I thought I'd share what happened to me. Just bought a brand new HP desktop with 8.1 pre-installed. Ten days after I got it, I left it unattended for about an hour. Upon return, it would not come out of sleep mode at all. HP helped us reload Windows and start all over. He said it was a flaw in 8.1, which Microsoft was aware of. He said not to leave the computer unattended for longer than 30 mins. Just to see what Microsoft would say, I told them what HP had told me and asked when they would fix it. Their answer? It's not Microsoft's fault (surprise surprise). It is a corrupted system file and for $149 they will fix it for me! Okay. So who do you believe? I've never trusted Microsoft, so I'm going with HP, but that still doesn't solve my problem!

cezovski, May 7, 2014
  7. sTs9JaMs

Shintaro Moderator

So did you turn off Sleep mode off or update everything via HP Support Assistant?

Shintaro, May 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question