Outlook 2013 Sub-Folder Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phillyacct, May 4, 2014.

1. Phillyacct

Phillyacct

Win 8.1 (64-bit) - Office 365 - Outlook 2013 - Only One e-mail account @ gmail.com
    Here's how my folder pane looks:
    [my account]@gmail.com (1) - Note the '(1)' - it's also on my '.ost' file - how do I rename?
    Inbox
    [Gmail]
    Trash
    a1 Family & Friends All of my sub-folders start 'aN'
    a4 Orders
    a4 Scotland - It's empty, but when I right click the 'Delete Folder' option is 'grayed out'
    a6 Hobbies
    [Gmail] Another [Gmail] Sub-folder - I only want one!
    Drafts
    Sent Mail
    Spam
    Starred
    Problem 1 - How do I rename the 'Account' (?) and ".OST" file to get rid of the '(1)' ?
    Problem 2 - How do I delete empty/unused sub-folders that, when I right click', have the 'delete folder' option 'grayed out'?
    Problem 3 - I have two [Gmail] sub-folders - I only want one - How do I move/combine/delete the 'extra' one?

Answers to any/all would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    John

Phillyacct, May 4, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Phillyacct

bassfisher6522

To change any settings in your gmail account, you have to make those change in your gmail account settings and not through outlook. In outlook, when setting up email accounts, your just importing that account and all the settings to that account.

bassfisher6522, May 11, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Phillyacct

Phillyacct

Thanks! Over the past two days (Ha) I've learned this through long hours. Here are a few more 'Tips'...
    1) As stated above, I'ts very important to get the on-line version of Gmail folders & sub-folders exactly the way you want BEFORE adding/installing Gmail to Outlook. After several attempts, here's what I found worked best for me. Build sub-folders UNDER [GMAIL] and labeling them as "a1 xxxxx, a2 xxxxx, a3 xxxx". Why? If you build them under [Gmail], you can add [Gmail] to "File...Acct Set...Acct Set.., 2 click on e-mail...More Settings (lower right)...Advanced... Root Folder Path (!). This will allow the Folder [Gmail] to disappear from the 'Navigation Pane' and the 'a1' to 'aN' folders to appear in a straight line under the Inbox (the a1 to an prefixes keep Gmail/Outlook from alphabetizing your own preferred list order).

2) I found the following video very helpful. I learned several important things and didn't need to undo anything (My thanks to the author!). It's titled "Setup Outlook to access Gmail via IMAP" (dated Mar 17th 2014):

Again..thank-you "RicmediaPCHELP"!

3) I found the following program (I couldn't make any of the 'safer' ways work) helpful in removing sub-folders in Outlook like: "RSS Feeds". MFCMAPI is the name of the program. WARNING it's very powerful and you can inadvertently mess-up things if you're not careful (I did! See below).

Reviewing my browser history, I visited over 30 sites to gather information...Thanks to all!. I rebuilt my on-line Gmail account three (3!) times before I had it the way I wanted (sub-folders under the [Gmail] folder). I deleted my Outlook Gmail account and rebuilt it four (4!) times. Here's the result (all in One Column) [Nav Pane in Outlook]
    Under [myaccount]@gmail.com:
    Inbox
    Drafts
    Sent Mail
    Trash
    a1 Family & Friends [with sub-solders]
    a6 Hobbies
    Outbox
    Search Folders
    Spam

That's it!
    FINAL WARNING: I only have one (1) e-mail account, some or ALL of the above may not apply if you have more. Also I have Outlook 2013.

Thanks again to the Internet Community! What a wonderful resource.
    John

Phillyacct, May 11, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question