Old start menu in Windows 8

Discussion in 'Customization' started by Splicer, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Splicer

Splicer

Am I stupid (don't answer this :p) or is there not a way to use the old start menu in Windows 8? I took a look at the free app that SIW2 posted for a Vista start menu, but that's not what we used in Windows 7.

Is there a way to get it back?

Splicer, Mar 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Splicer

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I haven't found it yet and that is one of the MAJOR issues for me with Windows 8, no Start Orb! :(

Nibiru2012, Mar 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Splicer

Tchégéda

Unfortunately that not possible but I believe that in the final version, the old start menu will in option.

Tchégéda, Mar 4, 2012
  4. Splicer

davehc

Posted in other threads, but here we go
    Vista start menu. Very customiseable, and can be used to customise the Metro menu also, as Metro automatically picks up the changes.

http://www.vistastartmenu.com/

Vistart. Identical to the old menu in Windows 7, but the right hand pane is not customiseable. Also returns the start orb, fwiw.

http://lee-soft.com/vistart/

I've tried them both and am now using the Vista start menu whilst getting used to the Metro

davehc, Mar 5, 2012
    yodap and Tchégéda like this.
  5. Splicer

yodap

Thanks I'll give it a look!

yodap, Mar 5, 2012
  6. Splicer

davehc

Just posted this on another forum, but I thought maybe my views would be of interest?

The object of the Consumer preview was to collect feedback which, hopefully, would be assessed and incorporated into the final product, according to its merit. With the next release, no scheduled for late May, I doubt that much more, unless it is a matter of a few tweaks, will be incorporated. (Windows 8 Release Candidate will be called "Release Preview, according to rumour)
    However, it was important for me, that I tried to use what was already within the OS, in order to put it through its paces. I weakened on the subject of the Metro Start menu, however.
    I currently have six third party programs/hacks for "bringing back" the more familiar desktop Start orb/program menu.
    It has, since the innovation of the Start menu, always been my custom to build folders and, within those folders, place know program executives (shortcuts). This meant : Click the Start Orb - Click the "Programs" icon - Click the folder - Click the .exe.
    This is I suppose, about 5 seconds of clicking. Now. On analysis, I use about six programs, constantly, during my daily work - abut 30 seconds of "clicking". Remembering that I am in one program, normally, and the other five, should it amount to that, are then fetched, So the 30 seconds is well dispersed during my working time - maybe not a big deal.
    I have incorporated this practise into the various third party start menus I have gathered together. I am not a great lover of Task bar shortcuts, as, if it were the case, I would prefer the alternative of icons shortcuts on my desktop. But, of course, all these third party menus, or anything else, can easily be pined to the taskbar, if required.
    With my menus, the winner so far is the Vista Start Menu. I have, for those interested, put a picture of my particular arrangement in an attachment, together with the so-called "power" menu which is in the same program (Vista Start)

Having said that, I did give more thought to the Metro style. I now have only ten icons there, which are for daily use. If I am now given a way, in the final release, to fully customise the icons positioning, etc., I guess I will be quite happy with Metro.

Attached Files:

davehc, Apr 12, 2012
  7. Splicer

NiFu

What are these six programs?

I already knew these four:
    • Start8
    • Start menu 7
    • ViStart
    • Classic Shell
    And yet you called this program:
    • Vista Start Menu

NiFu, Apr 12, 2012
  8. Splicer

davehc

davehc, Apr 12, 2012
  9. Splicer

NiFu

Can you outline briefly the content of the hacks ?
    Or give some Internet links to them ?
    (But I can google to them if I know some keywords.)

I hope the hack contains not "RPEnabled=0" - this only worked in developer preview.

NiFu, Apr 13, 2012
  10. Splicer

davehc

davehc, Apr 13, 2012
  11. Splicer

NiFu

But the path you mention is the path to start menu shortcuts for "all users". Additional shortcuts for the "logged in" users can be found in:

C:\Users\[User name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

And it's better not to make a "shortcut" to these folders but make a "new tool bar" in the taskbar and let point this toolbar to start menu path. Similarly way like here.

NiFu, Apr 13, 2012
  12. Splicer

davehc

Ok! You were asking questions - I answered. IMO. I don't really see any purpose in adding another toolbar. But you should do what pleases you.
    By the way, I suspect you are the author of the link ( Nifu - NItch) Is that the case.?

davehc, Apr 13, 2012
  13. Splicer

Victor Leigh

Hey, why this fuss about getting back the start orb? Time to go forward, my friends. It doesn't really require rocket science to use the new interface. If you really want something scary, you should try a desktop environment that has got a totally blank screen.

Victor Leigh, Apr 23, 2012
  14. Splicer

davehc

I think the "fuss" is that, at this stage, it is one of the few controversial issues in Windows 8 worth discussing? For start orb, read program menu. many users, including myself, as you can see from my post, prefer an arrangement of folders, with enclosed shortcuts. Yes, I know you can select the Apps and see all your named folders, but they are so far all open and you are faced with a mass of shortcuts. So many of these go unused in ones daily work, particularly mine, that I prefer them available but hidden. The RTM may have a customisable option to do this.

davehc, Apr 23, 2012
  15. Splicer

davehc

"If you really want something scary, you should try a desktop environment that has got a totally blank screen. "

-LOL. Like mine - I am really scary!

Attached Files:

davehc, Apr 23, 2012
  16. Splicer

Victor Leigh

That looks scary. Still not as scary as one desktop environment that I have accidentally stumbled upon. No task bar. No icons whatsoever. No wallpaper even. Just a stark, blank black void. After I got over my panic, I clicked the right mouse button and found everything. If I remember rightly that desktop environment is called Openbox.

Victor Leigh, Apr 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question