not sure if my recovery partition is valid and bios query

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mickyboy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. mickyboy

mickyboy

hello all I have just purchased Packard bell s2185 desktop preloaded with win 8, being new to win 8 I could not quite figure out how to create a recovery file on usb stick.

I have installed win 8.1 from windows app store and created a recovery drive on a 32 gig usb, I did not as I recall opt to delete recovery partition to free up more disk space? it appears my recovery drive is empty on the hdd, but I am not sure how exactly how to verify.

when I first start pc it logs onto ms for password, on the Packard website it states either press delete or f2 to bring up the bios screen on start up, this does not seem to happen.

I am assuming I would need the pc to boot up from the usb pen drive to do a recovery ,but would this take me back to win the original win 8 (as I created usb after the win 8.1 install and not the original win 8)

so not sure how I get into bios set up

thanks all I hope I posted in correct section.

mickyboy, Dec 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. mickyboy

davidhk129

RE : I am assuming I would need the pc to boot up from the usb pen drive to do a recovery ,but would this take me back to win the original win 8
    1. No. It will bring you back to Day 1 of Windows 8.1
    2. You have an option to create a System Image Backup. Do that in an external hard drive on a regular basis, say once a week as I am doing. It will be your lifesaver if your system goes down. You can use the system image backup file to restore back to the date the backup was created.
    Please read this article/tutorial.......
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup

RE : on the Packard website it states either press delete or f2 to bring up the bios screen on start up,
    Maybe you were late pressing F2? Try ESC key.
    Hewlett-Pacchard also uses E1, F10, and F11 after restarting the computer.

I would call up the computer manufacturer and ask.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    davidhk129, Dec 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. mickyboy

mickyboy

thank you davidhk129 I have tried in vain to get pc to boot up at start and go into bios set up (as per my win7 pc) went into store where I purchased Packard bell pc it appears I have uefi bios ?

my pc shipped with a 1tb hard drive ( on looking at file manager when I first bought pc (c: drive Packard bell )
    and a (d: drive 455mb or so I thought) yesterday transferring files from external hdd to pbell I ran out of disk space, looking at drive (d: again it was 455gig not mb) so the itb drive has been partitioned at factory to be c d 500gig each.

using disk manager c: drive shows efi? d: does not and 20gig of d:drive is a healthy recovery partition.

the reason I wanted to go into bios was, in case I needed to boot to usb stick for recovery, but have been told the pc would boot to the recovery usb. I believe I can access the uefi bios but as yet have not done so in case I alter something in error.

mickyboy, Jan 6, 2014
  4. mickyboy

mickyboy

hi all whilst using my old win 7 pc then swapping cables over to pbell win 8.1 and booting up I noticed the press del to enter bios option which I had never seen before.

I use a 42 inch flat screen tv with my pc, the tv was set to cinema mode so the bios option was in effect not visable.

mickyboy, Feb 5, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question