Normal start menu in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nutmeg77, Feb 21, 2012.

1. nutmeg77

nutmeg77

Is there a way I can get the familiar start menu back in Widows 8? When I click the start button, I go back to the green tiled metro start page.

Has the Vista/Windows 7 style menu gone for good?

Please help!

nutmeg77, Feb 21, 2012
    Tchégéda likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. nutmeg77

Tchégéda

It's possible but in beta Windows 8, you can use this soft who allow to start menu.

http://solo-dev.deviantart.com/art/Windows-8-Start-Menu-Toggle-258422929

Tchégéda, Feb 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. nutmeg77

nutmeg77

Thank you, I'll try that bit of software now :cool:.

nutmeg77, Mar 3, 2012
  4. nutmeg77

davehc

There are a couple of third party add-ons you can try:
    http://lee-soft.com/vistart/ sets up a menu and start orb which is exactly like Windows 7 menu. Not very customiseable on the right pane. I,ve been looking at the folder to see if something could be done manually, to remove unwanted entries.

Another one, which I have used. I went to a lot of Work to customise this one, which is infinitely possible. On big advantage is anything you move around in it, is copied in the Metro. It is a bit of a cheat, I know, but it is an excellent way to customise the Metro interface at the same time!

http://www.vistastartmenu.com/

davehc, Mar 4, 2012
  5. nutmeg77

SIW2

Recently released freeware version of startmenu7 with added orb (optional) for windows 8 users.

It looks great, works very well, too:

W7STARTMENU.jpg

SIW2, Mar 7, 2012
    Ian likes this.
  6. nutmeg77

davehc

I have it on my desktop. I think the author has used the "Vista start menu". But he has done a great job and for the orb lovers, has incorporated it into the program. I have spent sometime organising my folders and known contents and, quite frankly, it is only marginally different from the windows 7 start menu.

davehc, Mar 7, 2012
  7. nutmeg77

Ian Administrator

Excellent, that gives us a little bit of flexibility - thanks for the heads up SIW2!

Ian, Mar 8, 2012
  8. nutmeg77

CoolJohnB

Wow! Thanks for the suggestion works brilliantly and makes a huge improvement to Windows 8 :)

CoolJohnB, Apr 11, 2012
  9. nutmeg77

CoolJohnB

CoolJohnB, Apr 11, 2012
  10. nutmeg77

brkkab123

How To Geek just put out a article on How To Get The Classic Start Menu & Explorer Toolbar Back In Windows 8. Here's the article's link. http://www.howtogeek.com/111162/use...sic-start-menu-explorer-toolbar-in-windows-8/

brkkab123, Apr 12, 2012
    Tchégéda likes this.
  11. nutmeg77

LosAngelesLover

Aha, thanks for this, I've been looking for something like it.

LosAngelesLover, May 6, 2012
    Tchégéda likes this.
  12. nutmeg77

NiFu

● "Classic Shell" as basis
    ● "Windows 7 Skin" by askvg / Vishal for Windows 7 look
    ● German translation, extended and customized by me

Result:

[​IMG]

NiFu, May 31, 2012
  13. nutmeg77

Tchégéda

Start Menu return :D

Tchégéda, Oct 27, 2012
  14. nutmeg77

brkkab123

When I purchase and install the Windows 8 Pro upgrade next Friday night, I'm going to be using Stardock's Start8. I already purchased it and from what I've heard, it can be customized to make it look like Windows Vista & 7's start menu. Another words it doesn't fill up your screen like I'm seeing in your screenshot's. I'll worry about configuring my program's into group's according to my liking on the start screen down the road. I won't really be using alot of the windows store/Microsoft Windows 8 app's like the mail, xbox music, xbox videos or pdf app's. as I'm going to have Windows Media Center along with my Netflix and Hulu Plus account's. Outlook 2010 covers my email, picase does my picture's and Sumatra handles my pdf's on the desktop and all can be on screen at the same time. As far as touch mouse's or monitor'sm they aren't must have's or worth the money to me currently. My wireless Microsoft Keyboard & Mouse only cost me like $25-30 a year ago. A touch mouse for $80, isn't worth it. Nor would a $300-450 19" touch monitor/fingerprint magnet that you need to get up every time you want to do some thing and spend the rest of the time cleaning fingerprint's off of it.
    P.S. Everyone the Vista, 7 & 8 driver's are all the same one's. I ran the Upgrade Assistant last night and the only thing it said was that Windows Media Center wasn't included in the Windows 8 install. Alreaddy knew that. When AMD released the 12.10 driver's earlier in the week they are listed as Win Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 for the same driver's. I'm sure Nvidia's probably are , too. All other Windows 7 driver's were listed as okay, too. Or should I say weren't listed as anything needing to be upgraded or anything. The only thing it did say was AMD's dual core utility needed to go. I already uninstalled that. All I need is to keep my software patched through the week and dosable NIS 2013 until the Windows 8 Pro upgrade is done. May not need to worry about that, as I'm more than likely going to clean install 8/ let it reformat my ssd and unplug my 2 mechanical hard drives. Then after 8 is installed, replug my 2 unplugged hard drives back in. Update 8, get WMC and repoint 8 to my contacts, documents, pictures, recorded tv and videos. Then reinstall my software, configure it, install Start8 and start with a fresh pc.

brkkab123, Oct 28, 2012
  15. nutmeg77

brkkab123

The way I have my games won't work with 8's upgrade, as my screenshot show's how I have all of them except Microsoft Flight And Dirt 3 are off of my ssd. Game For Windows Live games are unmovable. Thus Flight and Dirt 3 are on my ssd. May eventually get a 240 GB. ssd, then I'll reinstall 8 and keep the games on it.

Attached Files:

brkkab123, Oct 28, 2012
  16. nutmeg77

lucasbytegenius

You might also want to check out Pokki, it's not exactly like the old start menu but it works ok.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 29, 2012
  17. nutmeg77

brkkab123

I'll try Pokki, if I install Start8 and don't like how it look's or work's. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Either way, the Start menu is actually almost last on my list, as far as Windows 8 goes.I've read that the transfer everything option from 7 to 8 during install is supposably better than doing a true clean install. I'm going to give that a try first. Then update 8 and get WMC going. Then I'll see if my games made the upgrade properly. Then double check on update's for everytthing again. Run a full backup/image. Then do the start menu and then tweak the start screen's organization of my app's to my liking's. Then I'll do the final backup/image. Then I'll check out what's currently in the store that I may want and get what I want and run a final backup. Also, after that I'll also let Carbonite HomePlus do a image on my 2nd external hard drive. Which is being purchasedFriday also.

brkkab123, Oct 30, 2012
  18. nutmeg77

lucasbytegenius

I think Pokki is for people who like the Start Screen but need a quicker way to shut down the computer or access some program folders.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 31, 2012
  19. nutmeg77

davehc

Not sure where you are going with that, Lucas! Isn't that what all the third party start menus accomplish?
    But, Brkkab. There is a new version of Classic just released. This has the Store and the Metro apps included. The option takes you back to the metro App and opens the chosen app. This does mean that you no longer need the left corner right click metro option, and you can disable it in the Classic shell..

davehc, Oct 31, 2012
  20. nutmeg77

brkkab123

I'll give it a look davehc. It's now about 48 hours until my purchase/install take place. I'm going to try the upgrade that keep's everything from 7 firts and see how my current programs/games work afterwards. I already have 2 WMC keys. So if I get a surface or 2nd pc down the road, I'll use the 2nd WMC key for it.
    If thing's don't seem to work right in 8 after the full upgrade install, I'll do a clean one at night.
    I already have a feeling my games installed off of the ssd won't make it. They didn't from 7 to 7 SP1.
    If they are the only thing that don't make it. I'll just spend Friday night reinstalling/updating them
    I purposely did a clean install of 7 last week, so my pc's pretty clean now.

brkkab123, Oct 31, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question