New here from the States but living in China

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mi101, Nov 23, 2013.

1. mi101

mi101

Hi windows 8 forums,

I am new to this forum but not new to other forums involved with the Surface tablets. I've had my Surface RT for almost a year now. Love it. Been planning on making aftermarket accessories for it.

Always looking to learn more about the Surface tablets.

mi101

mi101, Nov 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. mi101

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Trouble, Nov 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. mi101

mi101

Thank you Trouble!

mi101, Nov 23, 2013
  4. mi101

themarting

Been planning on MAKING aftermarket accessories? thats pretty awesome! Care to share any of them or do you want to play them close until youre ready?

What part of China are you currently in? I've always wanted to visit china and Japan, but even in Spain i felt horribly out of touch and i speak the language haha. I cant imagine how lost id be in china...

themarting, Nov 25, 2013
  5. mi101

mi101

Yeah. Well I plan to stay pretty about it until I am close to launching the Kickstarter campaign. Plus, most forums hate people advertising in them so I don't want to be "that" guy here! haha. But I can PM you when I am ready.

I am in Wuxi currently but plan to move to Shenzhen next year. Yah China, barely anyone speaks English, but I speak a little Chinese so its not so bad. Coming here he first me was hard though.

mi101, Nov 25, 2013
  6. mi101

themarting

Ah I understand no worries! So, did you learn chinese through immersion or did you take courses. Also, just out of curiosity, what made you choose china?

themarting, Nov 26, 2013
  7. mi101

mi101

Both actually. I live off campus and I have to learn Chinese if I want to eat, keep my electric bill paid, receive packages, etc... But I also go to class. Plus class gives you lots of chances to meet people from all over the world. I got friends in almost every single country in the world. That's nice when you want to just drop by in Russia, Venezuela, Thailand, Korea, Germany, etc....

That is a long story but the short version is I had to choose a study abroad program with my international Business degree. I had to choose a country and language. Well wanting a business degree I thought China was the best option. And it really was for what I have planned for my future of producing my designs in China while keeping my costs low.

You curious about study abroad?

mi101, Nov 26, 2013
  8. mi101

themarting

I wasn't really but you make it sound cool heh. I wish i had chosen to do something like that, i love the idea of travelling all over the world. So far my only stops have been Spain and Italy (Jamaica and the Bahamas too but they dont count as they were stops on a cruise)

When we went to spain i fell in love with everything about madrid. i really envisioned living there in my head and was thinking of ways to move there. it never ended up happening of course.

themarting, Nov 27, 2013
  9. mi101

mi101

You still can! I know several families who are either working or spreading the gospel who have their whole family here. Kids enrolled in local schools, international schools, or home schooled. Even their babies are here. I am not the typical college age student either. I'm 26 and 99% of my class is full of Korean moms. Their husband's are working here for the masses of Korean factories here. I had a old German guy in one of my classes.

He was one of those grumpy guys that all the Korean girls were scared of. But if you got to know him he was a pretty cool guy. He would tell me stories of when his company sent him and his wife to the Iranian oil fields to install German made safety valves and gauges and help the Iranians pump oil. Then one day Iraq attacked the very field he was working on. He told me about running like heck and seeing Iraqi marked planes dropping bombs on him. From what I heard he was a heck of a poker player too.

Great stories from all over the world! I find it more learning abut the whole world and your own country more than I'm learning about China. Although you learn a ton about China too. I sold almost everything I have to come here. I left my father's company, sold my jeep and all but two of my guns, I never sell my guns...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    mi101, Nov 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question