New GPU??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trouble, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

If, like me, you are contemplating purchasing a new Video Card for your Desktop machine, you may find this site useful in doing some side by side comparisons.
    They have a few canned comparisons or you can simply type in what you want to compare and see what they may have in the way of results.
    http://gpuboss.com/?utm_source=howtogeek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter
    I found this one particularly interesting
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7970-vs-GeForce-GTX-680
    as a friend an I have been discussing these to specific cards recently and we're both contemplating making the investment and it looks like the 7970 will likely be the winner.
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Mar 20, 2013
    Core and clifford like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

clifford (c_c)

clifford, Mar 21, 2013
    Trouble likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

persiankid400

Thanks! Check out pcpartpicker.com to check out if your PSU can handle it, and if it is compatible with the rest of your system.

persiankid400, May 21, 2013
    Trouble likes this.
  4. Trouble

Tyelander

pcparkpicker.com is a really great site. It helped me find the best deal for my current gaming rig. I have the 6970 and it is really great to be honest. I can run everything I want on high graphics.

Tyelander, May 27, 2013
  5. Trouble

crazycroc

I usually compare benchmarks of graphics card in my budget range. However there is also something to be said for power consumption and which operating system you are using. For example, AMD cards are not known to work well under Linux.

crazycroc, May 28, 2013
  6. Trouble

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I've been thinking about a GPU upgrade a few times. I can still play all the games I want on my current 6850, if not necessarily at max settings. I don't play a lot of FPS games or the like, I am more of an RPG/MMORPG kind of guy. You know, Pasty McGamer.

My chief concern, however, is cooling. I've never had a system that used anything more modern to cool its innards than a case fan. Yes, the HD 6850 is designed to run hot and like it, and it does, but I am wondering if the 7970 would need all kinds of liquid cooling shit just to keep the box from melting...

Core, May 28, 2013
  7. Trouble

Tyelander

I'd go for the Radeon 7970. I have been using AMD products for a while now and are really good to be honest. You could even use it as a bitcoin miner if you want. ;)

Tyelander, May 29, 2013
    Lokitns likes this.
  8. Trouble

ksam911

The ASUS HD7790 is a very decent GPU for its price. The specs should be more than enough for any current game. Also an HD 7850 is a a little bit more pricey but you will be able to play your Skyrims, Battlefield 3's, and Far Cry 3's with ease.

ksam911, May 30, 2013
  9. Trouble

Lokitns

I'm also voting for AMD in this thread. While for a long time I was a Nvidia fan boy, the upgrade vs price has significantly declined over the years. AMD's prices have remained reasonable and the upgrades constantly get better.

Lokitns, May 30, 2013
  10. Trouble

sonic

I've been using couple of sites for gpu comparison, including gpuboss. It's pretty good. You should also try bench from AnandTech. It compares other components too, not just the GPUs.

sonic, Jun 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question