New annoyance Administrator rights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DRFP, Nov 24, 2012.

1. DRFP

DRFP

WIth windows 7 I could end all prompts for permission, I could be in complete control of my own computer, but in the eyes of Microsoft we are stupid, we cannot move things without the OS asking us for Admin rights we already have.
    users want
    Stupid stupid stupid, I'm so angry at Microsoft developers they completely ignore what we want they just continue make Windows worse in some ways

If I'm missing something tell me because from what I read there is no way to stop these prompts

DRFP, Nov 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. DRFP

davehc

You are the user/Admin of all your user/usable files. Some of the files, if exposed, can lead to security issues, from which MS are trying to protect you. Others are for the general running of the system, and they are protected in the first layer, to avopid uninitiated users accidentally altering them in any way. You can gain access to most, by becoming a "Global" admin. This is not a hack, and is openly published.

There are a couple of ways to do this

Open a command prompt(Run as Administrator).
    Type the following command and enter.
    net user administrator /active
    Log out and see if you have a new alternative login, as well as your existing one. If not, do it the long way.

Shut down the computer for a cold boot. Tap the "F8" key as you are booting.
    Select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.
    Log into windows7 with your personal account that holds the local administrator access.
    Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following
    net user administrator /active
    Log out and log back in as administrator.
    Another way

Go to Start
    Type Control UserPasswords2. (or Open the Start menu, and type lusrmgr.msc )
    Click Advanced.
    Click Advanced again.
    Select Users.
    Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled
    Now log out and login as Administrator.

As I intimated,The action leaves you a little more vulnerable to outside attack. Not a big issue if you are confident with your anti virus control etc.

davehc, Nov 24, 2012
    Nibiru2012 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. DRFP

DRFP

In an article it said if you do this it disables ( breaks) Apps in windows 8?

I feel like Microsoft is trying to protect us from every conceived threat, in the end the only way to enjoy the computer will be not to turn it on at all...........I have been using computers since 1979 and in all that time I have had less than 5 viruses and all but one my fault. Sorry I'm tired of the Big Brother approach to Security

DRFP, Nov 24, 2012
  4. DRFP

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I disabled the UAC, as I always do (although I don't recommend it to others), and I haven't gotten nag one.

Core, Nov 25, 2012
    Nibiru2012 and DRFP like this.
  5. DRFP

davehc

You can, alternatively, change the security on those folders to which you want access. Obviously, with your background, you know how to do this. You could also turn down the UAC, which would stop a lot of the security popups.
    I do not intend this in a rude way to Microsoft, or the general public(users), but I feel that Microsoft are correct in regarding the majority as not being "computerwise" enough to have access to junction or system folders. Bear in mind that it is a very small minority of users, who venture onto sites such as this. Most, if so inclined, just experiment and, in many cases, are disregarding the consequences.
    But, back to the thread. What is the particular function you are experiencing, which is annoying you?

Frankly, and this has been said before and, furthermore, could be seen as a defeatist attitude (?) Windows 7 is a magnificent OS. If you have any doubts regarding Windows 8, with its relatively small performance improvements, then why bother to venture down that path?

davehc, Nov 25, 2012
    DRFP and Nibiru2012 like this.
  6. DRFP

Victor Leigh

Right you are.

People who are happy with Windows 7 should just stick with Windows 7. My son has been using Windows 7 ever since it was released and he told me that in all that time, he never had to re-install the operating system even once. So he's totally disinterested in migrating to Windows 8.

If you are happy with Windows 7, there's no reason to migrate to Windows 8 and then curse Microsoft when you find that Windows 8 is not Windows 7 with a new number.

Victor Leigh, Nov 26, 2012
    davehc likes this.
  7. DRFP

tanzanos

Windows 8 is like a bad marriage. It is like the nagging wife who wants to control everything you do. She knows what is best for you because she considers you too stupid to be alive. My advice; If you are married to her then get a divorce lawyer. If you have not married her yet then cancel the wedding and get as far away from her as you can. The sad thing is that eventually she will catch up to you and come with her shotgun wielding father and the wedding will be forced upon you. :(

tanzanos, Nov 26, 2012
  8. DRFP

Nibiru2012 Moderator

Same for me, UAC is basically worthless as far as I'm concerned. Of course, there are so many n00bs that don't use AV software, anti-malware apps, etc. So UAC is a handy device for those who need it, whether they realize it or not.

I have been basically very active on this forum for the last two weeks or so.
    WHAT is bothering me is the fact that there are so many naysayers and negative attitudes regarding Windows 8.
    IF you don't like Windows 8, then wipe your hard drive or SSD and reinstall Windows 7. That's it!

Another thing, there needs to be more POSITIVE posts here. There are way too many negative posts that don't help anyone at all. In particular there are certain members that all they seem to do is to join here JUST TO BASH the Windows 8 OS. To these members, if you don't have anything positive to add to this forum, then please do not post anything at all.
    We have all seen these (the forum Mods), and we're getting somewhat weary of this negativity.

Several observations I have made in the three years I've been a moderator on three different Windows forums is that there are three basic types of members, and they are:
    1. Members who have positive contributions, help other members with their issues and move on. These are regular contributors and reside on the forums to learn from others and help others.
    2. Members who join just to have one or two issues posted, hoping they'll find the answer(s) they're searching for, then move on without anymore postings or feedback.
    3. Members who join just to moan, whine and complain about how bad the OS is, why they can't do this or that, why the UI is so different from what they're used to, and so on, so forth,
    ad nauseum ad infinitum. Again, if you do not like or enjoy using Windows 8, then please leave the negativity at home and revert back to Windows 7.

When I personally switched from XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro, it was quite a new learning curve for me. I decided to join a few Windows 7 forum websites to learn, study and become more proficient at Windows 7. Eventually, I was promoted to a Mod status on two of those forums because of my contributions and knowledge of hardware. (There are others who are better at the software aspect.)

Again... for those members with all the negative posts. Please refrain, if it is at all possible, and let us move forward to make this a better forum for all users concerned.

I'm now stepping down off of my soapbox.

~Nibs

Nibiru2012, Nov 27, 2012
    davehc likes this.
  9. DRFP

davehc

As a fellow Moderator, I wholeheartedly support Nibiru's post above.

I have weathered through XP, Vista and Windows 7 and Windows 8, providing help when and if. Honestly, there is such a deluge of hate and criticism on the Windows 8 forums on which I post, even since the early public previews, that I, too, am quite weary of sifting through and finding useful posts on which to comment. One of the most prolific, for example, today , after a 12 hour break (by me) had two pages, 30 posts, on the subject of Windows 8. Only three were actually requests for help and two others were sensibly discussing some side aspects of 8. The remainder were "flaming". yet another even has a moderator, who has not yet even installed Windows 8. His replies to posts tend to be cynical or even critical of the OS - now that is remarkable!
    If you do wish to join a group, where you have a need to express your unleashed criticisms, then try one of the MS associated forums such as Technet. Those sites are regularly monitored by MS employees. I am not suggesting you will receive sympathetic support, but your views are recorded by the principles.
    But, bear in mind, this and similar forums are managed by personnel who have decided to move into the latest OS and, through this media, attempt to help newcomers through the initiation. It is not our desire, nor our task, to constantly deal with those posters who have only wasted space here with open abuse of windows 8.

davehc, Nov 27, 2012
    Nibiru2012 likes this.
  10. DRFP

tanzanos

Although I agree with Nibiru2012, I do however feel that you are being unfair. Negative feedback in forums does pressure companies to rectify or change the negative aspects of their product(s). In effect we naysayers are actually giving the real picture albeit in a repetitive and whining way. Classic shell was born because of all the whining and complaining on the lack of classic menus in win 7. Classic shell is one of the best 3rd party applications that is not only very good but free too. I am sure that were nobody to complain or were dissuaded from posting complaints in forums then we would not have such applications or perhaps very few if any of them.

It is unfair to tell customers that if you don't like it then stay with the previous model or move on to another brand. First of all MS is basically a monopoly and one really has only one choice of OS if one is to remain globally compatible in software etc. Secondly, complaints are very important (I know, I am a products designer and developer).

Someone who wants to buy or move to windows 8 will invariably look for reviews and read posts in forums. When one sees so many negative posts about windows 8 then they may refrain from moving to windows 8 and slow sales may force MS to rethink their strategy and possibly make the required changes to their OS in the form of a SP or update.

If the moderation team really feels that I am out of line then I apologise sincerely but remain resiliently opposed to the Win 8 philosophy. Of course the Moderation team has all the right to ask me to stop posting or perhaps ban me altogether.

By the way Nibiru2012; my birthday is on 21-12-2012 :) It's the end of the world as we know it..... :)

tanzanos, Nov 27, 2012
  11. DRFP

davehc

You are not out of line by any means. The forums are for open discussion. Our thoughts are directed at the , not so much complainers with a genuine grievance or complaint, but at those who do seem to inhabit the Windows 8 for the express purpose of condemning it in a non specific an unknowledgeable manner.

davehc, Nov 27, 2012
  12. DRFP

DRFP

Windows 8 and Windows 7 the rub:
    MS took away glass and made Windows 8 more efficient for lower end PCs but added more annoying control based on "Security" its like adding strip search in the Airport because one in a million needs that level to be caught. But the difference is that Most people who get a Virus it will be through stupidity. Clicking on Junk mail or surfing to bad sites.
    Win 7 no AV can download free MSSE
    Win 8 AV is mandatory and Defender is part of it. Most will add Nortons and McAfee which is over kill.

I agree Win 8 was not well thought out. Since I only used MSSE in Win 7 for the past 3 years ( and 1 year before that) and had great protection I will not use anything with Win 8 Defender is MSSE

Sorry to say it but I see a law suit ahead for MS with Defender

DRFP, Nov 27, 2012
  13. DRFP

tanzanos

I used to use MSSE for a few years on my win 7 but one day I decided to run DRWEB CUREIT (it is free) and lo and behold it found malware and trojans and worms residing in my PC. MSSE had totally failed to catch them. I now use Avast and run once or twice a month DRWEB CUREIT and ESET online scanner. Since using AVAST I have found only two low threat malware. Not bad for a freebie AV.

But in all earnest; The web is so full of threats that it is wise to use WOT in your browser so as to avoid entering sites that are known to infect systems.

MS has decided that they will force their philosophy on us and this has many users really upset. MS has removed many choices that many users found useful; Not a very good way to gain loyal supporters. :(

tanzanos, Nov 27, 2012
    DRFP likes this.
  14. DRFP

DRFP

What do you call a threat? I ran Super Antispyware and it found ad cookies and called them threats

DRFP, Nov 27, 2012
  15. DRFP

davehc

"Win 8 AV is mandatory and Defender is part of it"
    Not sure if I am following you on this, but you can turn off Windows defender and even disable it permanently.

davehc, Nov 27, 2012
  16. DRFP

DRFP

How? When installed is it a pop up for the normal non tech person? Because there has been law suits over this kind of stuff. It should be a separate DL for the user to choose, its there by default on all new windows 8 systems this is the problem. The true test of MS doing something wrong verses behaving is "Can my 66 year old mother turn on a new Windows 8 system and have a choice in AV or Browser?" NO in fact you are almost made to think you must have a HOTMAIL account to use all the features of 8, this confusion is on purpose I feel. People like us who have not only beta tested and written code, to alter the OS is easy or second nature, my 66 year old mom is not savvy enough to take off the AV and at times even install another browser because IE "came with windows" So its "Best" you have to understand a software used by 80 to 90% of people must be friendly and not a monopoly on purpose. Not giving choices on these other programs is creating a MS only environment. Heck MS office, how many office systems are there again? Used by most people? MS crying is like the girl on prom night with TWO Dates the prom King and prom Prince, its not good enough!

Question? Can you use the App store with a Gmail account?
    I know you must have a Gmail account for Android App store.........waiting to see law suits over this stuff

DRFP, Nov 27, 2012
  17. DRFP

davehc

That does not make it "mandatory"
    You can turn it off in the Services or, alternatively but not a good solution, merely stop it in "real" time.

davehc, Nov 27, 2012
  18. DRFP

DRFP

I do not disagree but I can see where people will not by the millions because going into services is beyond the average user. They will feel like they are "messing with the OS" in a bad way...................Look the EU told just bundling IE is wrong what do you think the EU and other courts will do with Defender?

I'm not hating on MS I'm saying they have made a lot of mistakes with Win 8 and I see a rocky future

DRFP, Nov 27, 2012
  19. DRFP

davehc

Perhaps we should agree to disagree on a couple of points here. The services are freely available through the Administrative tools or, more for the layman user, referring to the help files. personally, I have not found a lot of mistakes in Windows 8. It would appear so, reading through forums such as this, but the posts tend to be repetitions of very few mistakes - no more than one would find in legacy Os's or other software.

davehc, Nov 27, 2012
  20. DRFP

DRFP

The problem I think we have is how long has it been since Windows 2000? 13 years now? MS has had a looooong time to get an OS right before its released. We are still getting unfinished and unpolished OS's, there was no real need to release 8 now, they could of kept it in development for another 6 months and refined it some more after feed back. To me and others its like MS put out the preview and asked for comments but never never intended to change the OS to what we wanted, instead wanted to "Introduce us" to 8 and say "Here it is, praise us" They expected us to embrace Windows 8 as the second coming after Windows 7. Early on I was part of 3 other Windows 8 Forums and all died due to non interest in Windows 8. We had 7 and it was great why did we need Windows 8?

Why do we now need to learn a new way to use an OS? Why must we feel like beta testers for a supposed finished product?

Thats where the failure is we want spit and polish. Apple makes you think and feel every piece of crap we get from them is finished like a fine instrument and MS makes you feel like you have a Guitar without strings and expects you to play beautiful music.................:eek:

DRFP, Nov 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question