Networking CRAP - why can't this be easier in 2013

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tim, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim

I have 4 computers at home .. all in same workgroup and homegroup, 2 are win 7 pro (they have the same usernames and passwords) and 2 are win 8 units (they have the same user name and password but in this case it is my win live signin/password)- they all see each other the 2 win 7 and one win 8 share files - use cubby etc .. then I have an other win 8.1 unit .. I added a second HD - everything is shared with FULL control .. one win 7 box was able to access the win 8.1 and create my backup system image on the 2nd HD .. the other win 8.0 and win 7 will not access it .. I will attach the error message from the win 8 .. the win 7 just tells me I do not have permission .. (the win 8.1 box will open files on the both the win 7 and win 8.0 )

No 3rd party security - just windows essentials/ defendor as the systems dictates

WHY THE HELL IS THIS SO DIFFICULT TODAY!!!!
    errormsg.jpg

Tim, Jun 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Tim

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello Tim:
    My guess is that it is a permissions problem.
    See if you can map a network drive from the problem machines to the share on the machine hosting your folder where you want your backups to reside.
    When prompted for credentials make sure you prefix the username with the machine name of the machine hosting the share followed by a back slash and a user name on the host machine that has proper access to that shared folder and that username's password..
    MachineName\Username like MyWindows8Machine\YourUsername@hotmail.com (in the event of a LiveID or whatever)

NOTE: I remember in Windows 7, backing up to network locations required Windows 7 Pro or above (Home Premium wouldn't do it) that may also be the case with Windows 8 as well.

Trouble, Jun 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Tim

Tim

Okay - I managed to map a drive to the win8.1 box from one win7 pro (by the way they are all Pro or Ultimate versions) - in the process it asked me for credentials which I provided and it accessed and it appears to be creating the image .. HOWEVER - when I tried to create the drive map from the box that successfully imaged earlier - it created the map - but now no longer gives me access ... and the other win 8 box in same - crestes the map - does not ask for any credentials - and does not give access

Tim, Jun 28, 2013
  4. Tim

First.... double check and confirm that there are no duplicate host names on the network. Then:
    On the problem machine(s) remove the mapped drive and then,
    Control Panel -> Credential Manager -> Windows Credentials
    Select the windows credentials that reference the host machine and remove them.
    Try again.

Trouble, Jun 28, 2013
  5. Tim

twh_bell2

so - I believe I have done what you said (removed the map, removed the credentials) .. re-added the map - still at no time does it ask me for credentials again - win 8 to win 8.1 - I CAN access (could before) the w8.1 computer and the file structure and copy and move (at least) one file to/from the directory that is my target for the backup - but still will not allow me to do the backup - same error as above

twh_bell2, Jun 29, 2013
  6. Tim

OK since I am a little behind the curve with respect to Windows 8.1 and it seems (if I'm understanding correctly) that, that is the machine that is hosting your network share where you wish your backups to reside.... let's assume that the backup process on one end or the other is having some trouble resolving your microsoft ID from within the backup interface (since you don't seem to have any trouble accessing the share otherwise.
    So...... on the Windows 8.1 machine hold the WinLogo Key and strike the "R" key and then type
    lusrmgr.msc
    and hit enter
    In the left column right click the "users" container and choose New User
    pick a name .... JohnSmith
    pick a password...... P@$$w0rd
    untick user must change password and tick password never expires.
    Click OK and close the New user dialog box.
    Now double Click JohnSmith in the middle column
    Select the "Member Of" tab
    Click the Add button
    Click the Advanced button
    Click the Find Now button
    Select "Administrators" and click OK and OK again
    Now back under the Member Of tab select "Users" and the click the Remove button, leaving only "Administrators in the Member of Box.
    Click OK
    Now that we've created a new user / member of the local Administrators group on the Windows 8.1 machine, try using that for authentication credentials on the problem machines from within the BackUp interface.
    Same deal
    MyWindows8.1Machine\JohnSmith
    P@$$w0rd

NOTE: The only other thing I can think of is that the host volume must be formatted NTFS, in order to host system images, which I assume is the case already since you've apparently succeeded at least once already.
    Or maybe there is something still buggy going on with Windows 8.1
    It is still only a preview release so who knows.

Trouble, Jun 29, 2013
  7. Tim

Tim

OK been a while but I rudely achieved what I had wanted so this stalled for a while - but since it was time for another image creation - back to it .. think with time I came to the resolution quickly this time .. With my original install of Win 7 I used a generic user name USER1 bc I thought I would sell the box - but with install of win 8 I used an email address and PW .. and had been using it so long that became the default thought for access to the computer - AND I kinda got sidetracked cause it worked for access for a few things ... BUT what I found that provided error free access from all my computers was to use the forgotten original user name and current PW - it seems like that works for all - at least so far ..

Tim, Sep 26, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question