Network speed capped at 100mbit??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nonsiccus, Aug 18, 2013.

1. nonsiccus

nonsiccus

Hello,

I'm using a Samsung laptop, the model is NP780Z5E. I'm having an issue where the network port is not displaying the correct speed. I know for certain that my laptop (SHOULD!) be capable of 1000Mbit/1Gbit but instead the network connection in ncpa.cpl shows that it is only 100Mbit. This is using an ethernet cable to a router that is also capable of 100/1000.

I've tried replacing the cable and at this point I'm at a loss as to what could be happening. Additionally, the network connection will display at 1 Gbit when I connect the laptop at work.

Any useful insights or troubleshooting? What's wrong with my network!

nonsiccus, Aug 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. nonsiccus

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Old Cat 5 may not cut it.... you may have to upgrade to at least Cat 5e or better yet Cat 6 for that connection.
    Additionally it could be a driver issue, make sure you are using the latest driver for your particular network interface card, preferably from the actual Card Manufacturer rather than Samsung if possible.
    Or possibly a locked router port, try just swapping the cable to another LAN port on the Router.
    Lastly you can attempt setting the speed and duplex manually in the properties of your NIC.
    Just click the "Configure" button
    Select the "Advanced" tab.
    In the left column "Property:" scroll as needed and look for something that says Speed & Duplex (the wording might be slightly different depending on the card and driver) select that in the left column and on the right side "Value:", click the drop down arrow and select 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex and OK your way back out of there and see if that helps. If it doesn't then switch it back to Auto Negotiate.

Trouble, Aug 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. nonsiccus

David B

Is there a chance that it is not your laptop, but rather your network?

David B, Aug 29, 2013
  4. nonsiccus

MorgUK

^This! I always used to buy Cat 6 as I was scared of getting plain old Cat 5. I've always wanted a gigabit network, but never had the spare cash or need for one :)

MorgUK, Sep 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question