Network sharing on homegroup very SLOW

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Christina, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Christina

Christina

Ok so firstly i should mention that I am a novice on computers and have only been sharing on a homegroup for 6 months.

So basically I am connected to my brothers homegroup and we share files.
    I was using my old computer to do this but I recently bought this new laptop which has windows 8.1.
    Normally on my windows 7 laptop it takes 15minutes to transfer but on my new windows 8.1 laptop it either takes an hour or fails due to time out.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME I HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT I AM DOING!!!

oh and I should ad that when I am transferring it says speed is 355 KB/s if that makes a difference

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Christina, Jan 28, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Christina

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

without knowing anything at all about your computer (they're all different, especially laptops).
    My first suggestion would be to make sure that you have completed all of you Windows Updates through the Control Panel->Windows Updates applet.
    Then and again we know nothing as to manufacturer, model name, model number, etc., etc......
    Most laptops like HP have a feature embedded as software that you can use to check the manufacturer for device specific updates, like BIOS, Chipset, Video, Sound, etc.
    So perhaps you have something like that available to you.
    If you choose to share details regarding the specifics of the laptop then someone might have a more specific answer to your question.

Trouble, Jan 28, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question