Network Discovery

Discussion in 'Networking' started by twh_bell2, Jan 24, 2013.

1. twh_bell2

twh_bell2

this isnt limited to Windows 8 it is the same F^%&*** thing with Windows 7. WHY WHY WHY
    when I am connected to the same network, on the same workgroup, most 'puters have the same user and password, network drives are mapped .. DOES IT TAKE SO DAMN LONG to access another computer . I want to open a directory on another computer and have to wait 2 or 3 minutes for the damn thing to serach or connect or whatever the hell its doing - WHY WHY WHY .. and 2 minutes after doing it once - you have to go through the whole damn thing again

twh_bell2, Jan 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. twh_bell2

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Not absolutely sure but in most of these type of issues, we often find that an over zealous third party security suite and they are legion, can result in a lot of unnecessary LAN traffic overhead performing SPI (stateful packet inspection) on every bit of traffic that passes between network nodes
    In some instances you can adjust "trusts" or other conditions that might apply to network drives to prevent or at least ameliorate some of the latency / overhead.
    Possibly a better method might be to use a more network friendly security software such as MSE http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Trouble, Jan 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. twh_bell2

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I wouldn't exclude your router and/or its configuration as a contributing factor.

Core, Jan 25, 2013
  4. twh_bell2

twh_bell2

Possibly a better method might be to use a more network friendly security software such as MSE http://www.microsoft.com/en-
    us/download/details.aspx?id=5201[/quote]

well - on 1 puter I am using MSE only on another Norton IS only and on a thrid both MSE and Norton are running (though this box is not often powered on) - on the Win 8 laptop - I guess it is running the latest version of Win Defendor (its default) because there is no version of MSE for windows 8

I wouldn't exclude your router and/or its configuration as a contributing factor

Can you be specific about something I can look into regarding the router - its a Dlink 4500 Gamer Lounge

twh_bell2, Jan 25, 2013
  5. twh_bell2

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

This is just my opinion and not meant to bash any particular product but if it was my network then I wouldn't have Norton involved and I certainly wouldn't be running it in parallel with another AV product on any of the systems.
    You're correct about Defender being the new version of MSE for Windows 8 so you should be good there. But definitely consider uninstalling Norton and then follow that up by running the vendor specific proprietary removal tool, just to get rid of any and all remnants. https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us...ect_pubweb&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1

Trouble, Jan 25, 2013
    bassfisher6522 likes this.
  6. twh_bell2

twh_bell2

This is just my opinion and not meant to bash any particular product but if it was my network then I wouldn't have Norton involved and I certainly wouldn't be running it in parallel with another AV product on any of the systems.

Well - its about to expire - so that decision wont be hard

twh_bell2, Jan 25, 2013
  7. twh_bell2

twh_bell2

this is an old post - but I no longer have Norton on any thing except my cell phone and things do run better - I cant speak to my level of security however - but maybe this tells me I should lose it off the cell phone also ..

twh_bell2, Sep 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question