Mysterious Startup Settings

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Jaydean, May 23, 2015.

1. Jaydean

Jaydean

Hello!
    I have a question that has been bugging me for a few days and that is why can't I see startup settings in my windows repair / installation disk to have my computer boot into safe mode.

I believe my computer has 64bit and that is the installation disk I am using. Would using a 32bit Install disk perhaps let me see the startup options?

This is all stemming from a Driver signature error and have no way to boot the computer. I have tried refresh, recovery from restore point and repair computer options and still get the blue screen of death. I am just trying to get a word doc from my hard drive and would have no qualms putting a fresh install on, that is if it will let me from the factory windows.

I have tried to open notepad from cmd prompt but cannot seem to find the word document. Really frustrating

Thanks for any help
    Jay

Jaydean, May 23, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Jaydean

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Normally I would recommend removing the drive from the computer and attaching it to a second computer to recover your files.
    If that is not an option then perhaps booting from one of the many Linux Live Distros out there and using that to copy your files off and onto an external resource would be your best bet.
    I like Mint MATE 17.1 Rebecca http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=173
    While many others seem to prefer Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Trouble, May 23, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Jaydean

Jaydean

Ok awesome advice I hope it can see a Microsoft word doc file from linux and that I can transfer , it's all new to me, I will keep posted on progress thanks for the info and links!
    -Jay

Jaydean, May 23, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question