My Windows 8.1 profile registry key keeps disappearing, at a loss for ideas.

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Rajittaa, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Rajittaa

Rajittaa

My main PC is a Windows 8.1 rig, and I log in using a Microsoft Account. I also have a laptop that I upgraded from 8.1 to the Windows 10 tech preview, and I log into that using a Microsoft Account, and an Asus T100, Windows 8.1, Microsoft Account. On my main rig I have been experiencing an issue where after rebooting my PC, it will randomly log in with a temporary profile. I have encountered this before on other peoples machines, and have been able to fix it by going into REGEDIT HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>Current Version>Profile List> and changing the .bak on the end of the profile keys around.
    THis doesn't work for my situation. Normally when this is issues the profile keys will read C:\Users\User (Old, Correct profile )and C:\Users\TEMP (New, Incorrect profile). What happens on my machine is that it creates TWO new profiles: C:\Users\TEMP.000 and C:Users\TEMP.001, and the registry key that should correspond to my profile C:\Users\User is completely missing. This has happened roughly 7 times already and I have been able to fix this by doing a system restore, one time I tried renaming the keys by switching the .bak suffix and wound up not being able to do any system restore. After that happened I decided to do the Windows 8 Reset since I had everything backed up. After doing so last week my profile has already disappeared twice. At this point I am stumped. The only thing I have found online that sounds relevant is an issue Windows 8 has with roaming profiles, but the KB article said its a domain network issue. THe reason I think its relevant is because I used the 10 Tech Preview with the same Microsoft Account as 8.1. And the timing of the issue is consistent with the insallation of 10 and joining it to my Microsoft Account and I know there is data that gets synced for the profiles. But, my t100 has no user profile issues. I have also removed the Microsoft account from the Tech Preview machine and still experience the issue.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a suggestion?

Rajittaa, Jul 6, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Rajittaa

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Very weird problem indeed and I can't say that I've ever heard of this happening before, but.....
    It definitely sounds like a data corruption issue and Windows is responding to it, the best way it knows how.
    My initial suggestion would be to run the native Check Disk utility.
    From an elevated command prompt type
    chkdsk C: /R (assuming C is the location of the problem OS)
    Hit enter
    Answer the subsequent prompt by typing a
    "Y"
    Reboot your machine and let it finish all 5 stages and see what it comes up with. The results can be found in Event Viewer, Windows Logs, Application Logs.
    Additionally I would also run the native System File Checker utility
    From an elevated command prompt type
    sfc / scannow
    Hit enter
    See what that might reveal.

Trouble, Jul 6, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Rajittaa

Rajittaa

That's the frustrating part. I've done ChkDsk, SFC, and the Windows 8 version of WSURT which the name of is escaping me right now. Found nothing that resolved the issue. I did a wipe and Reinstall and have had the issue since.

Rajittaa, Jul 6, 2015
  4. Rajittaa

the term "wipe" sometimes means different things to different people.
    Did you use third party software to "wipe" the drive??
    It is possible that something still persists in the form of a boot sector virus, rootkit or other malware that has potentially survived if you only performed a simple format.
    There are various tools out there you can use to perform a robust low level format / cleaning of the drive to insure that it is pristine.
    1. http://www.dban.org/
    2. http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
    And probably many others.
    You need to be seriously careful about how you go about using these tools as there is very little if any chance of data recovery once they are done, so....
    You may want to create a full system image, just in case.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Trouble, Jul 6, 2015
  5. Rajittaa

Rajittaa

I wiped it using an utility called HDDErase. Same one I use in the shop. So no Viruses.

Rajittaa, Jul 6, 2015
  6. Rajittaa

Man.... I'm stumped.
    If all your Windows Updates on the install are current and all your system drivers are the latest and greatest, I'm at a loss to think of what might be causing this.
    At what point, after a wipe and clean install does the problem first manifest itself?
    You're not possibly restoring a problem from backups are you?
    Does this same thing occur if you create a local account non-MS with admin rights?

Trouble, Jul 6, 2015
  7. Rajittaa

Rajittaa

After the wipe and reinstall, it happened again within a day. Then about 2 weeks after that, and its been about a month since.
    The backups I use are my backed up Carbonite files. Not system images. So each time its fresh.
    I haven't tried making a local account w/o rights. And at this point, Being only 20 days from the new Windows OS, I think I'm just going to have to let it go by the wayside and hope the issue is with 10 and 8 profiles communicating, and will be eliminated when everything I have is 10.

Rajittaa, Jul 6, 2015
  8. Rajittaa

Sounds like a plan.
    If you have the reg key backed up somewhere with the proper name / guid then merging it, rather than a system restore seems like that would be a quick fix with a reboot or a simple log off and on.
    Unless of course your TEMP profile won't support that.

Trouble, Jul 6, 2015
  9. Rajittaa

Rajittaa

I made a backup copy of that key because it came to a point where it even said I had no restore points and was SOL, which is when I did the reinstall. That key is now stored in carbonite. I think the temp profile will be ok, I was able to edit registry keys before. Or Ill log into my wife's profile and use regedit there.

Rajittaa, Jul 6, 2015
  10. Rajittaa

You should be able to right click the .reg file and select merge and respond in the affirmative.
    that should be all there is to it.

Trouble, Jul 6, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question