My upgrade experience

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by lucasbytegenius, Nov 12, 2012.

1. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Hey everyone! I finally bought Windows 8 and upgraded from Windows 7, and thought I'd share my experience:

Yesterday I bought Windows 8 Pro (an upgrade version as I found out later) and attempted to install it using the weird little utility I downloaded from Windows.com. Installation kept failing with vague errors, so I loaded 8 up on a USB drive I had and did a clean install on another HD, which worked fine.

However, I couldn't activate it because it turns out the version of Windows 8 you get from Windows.com is the upgrade version, which sucks. So you have to upgrade from a previous version of Windows.

Did some googling and found out I could do a clean install, I just couldn't format the disk. All I had to do was to choose the current Windows 7 partition as the install destination during setup, and voila it worked. Activation worked just fine, woo. And I was able to easily delete my Ubuntu partitions and extend the Windows one, which is awesome.

I just wish I could have kept my installed programs, it’s a pain in the butt to install all of those again. But I’m pretty happy with Windows 8 besides that so I guess it’s not that big of an issue.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. lucasbytegenius

davehc

It makes sense that you cannot do a complete format with an upgrade but, for my interest, who the heck is Windows.com?

davehc, Nov 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Um, the website? http://windows.com? lol :p

Confused me at first though, they don't seem to mention that it's an upgrade version on the site.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 12, 2012
  4. lucasbytegenius

davehc

davehc, Nov 12, 2012
  5. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius, Nov 13, 2012
  6. lucasbytegenius

davehc

HUH? It was obviously a web site. But, these days, there are countless sites around with "Windows" somewhere in the address. I was curious as to where you had purchased the upgrade.

davehc, Nov 13, 2012
  7. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Ah I see. Well, glad it's cleared up now.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 14, 2012
  8. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

I managed to do a clean install from the upgrade ISO on a formatted drive. It certainly can be done.

Where I came a cropper at first is that if you want a 64 bit version then you have to download it on a 64 bit system. And to get an ISO in the first place you cannot download it on XP because "xp cannot deal with ISOs" according to microsoft.

jubbly, Nov 14, 2012
  9. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Well yeah you can do a clean install with the upgrade disc, you just can't activate it with the upgrade key that came with it.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 14, 2012
  10. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

Erm....yes you can. That is exactly what I did.

jubbly, Nov 16, 2012
  11. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

You formatted your Windows 7 partition with the upgrade disc and still managed to activate it? Weird, I couldn't get that to work.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 16, 2012
  12. lucasbytegenius

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

That's what I did. I confirmed my W7 license and bought the upgrade, downloaded the .iso, burned it on a disc, booted from the disc and wiped the hard drive, installed 8, entered the key they gave me, activated...done. In my case the only thing about the "upgrade version" that seemed to separate it from retail was the lower price and determining eligibility for it based on previous license.

Core, Nov 17, 2012
  13. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

That's weird that I'm the only one who had a problem then D: I don't see what I did wrong...

lucasbytegenius, Nov 18, 2012
  14. lucasbytegenius

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I reinstalled Windows 8 today, wiping my SSD entirely before doing so. Everything went fine, but this time I couldn't activate, it kept failing with an error message. I followed the following instructions from answers.microsoft.com, which after which I was able to activate just fine:

Core, Nov 19, 2012
  15. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Just saved that to Evernote for the next time I install Windows 8, thanks for that! It drove me mad when I first installed and I couldn't activate it.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 19, 2012
  16. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

It worked like a treat but I found the clean install less stable than the upgrade for some reason and went back to the upgrade.

That may have just been a result of it being 64 bit and me having a low ram old rig.

I have seen articles suggesting that it works for some and not others. But even if it doesn't work for you there is apparently a simple registry hack you can use to get it activate.

jubbly, Nov 21, 2012
  17. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Having low RAM shouldn't cause instability. I have 2 GB of RAM and it's just fine :confused:
    Basically what I did was a clean install, I just didn't format it. It put all the old Windows 7 files in their own folder which I deleted later.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 21, 2012
  18. lucasbytegenius

Nibiru2012 Moderator

MS recommends that at least 1 GB of RAM for the X86 version and 2 GB for the X64.

I have seen some stability issues when using low amounts of RAM. It also depends on the motherboard's North Bridge and South Bridge chipsets. Running the SSD or HDD in AHCI mode will help to improve the responsiveness too.

From the many installs and repairs I have been involved with, doubling the RAM is a wise choice. The minimum I tell people is 2 GB for X86 and 4 GB for X64 versions.

Also doing a complete "Custom" as Windows calls it, or a clean install is the only way to really get the best out of the OS. Upgrade installs work fine for a while, but they're never as snappy or responsive as the clean install method.

Nibiru2012, Nov 22, 2012
  19. lucasbytegenius

Nibiru2012 Moderator

It is easily done and here's a link to another Windows 8 forum site where the Admin named Brink gives an excellent tutorial. He knows what he's doing and been a valuable contributor to that forum plus the Windows 7 forum that he's an Admin on also.

How to Do a Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

I did not want to copy his material without giving him credit. Ian, myself and the other Mods like to respect other forum websites and their members contributions.

The tutorial does work!

~Nibs

Nibiru2012, Nov 24, 2012
  20. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

Yeah my system has only 1GB of RAM which is pushing it a bit for 64 bit.

I am going to install 4GB at some point then maybe do a clean install ox the x64 again.

jubbly, Nov 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question