My beef on Windows Updates

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by davidhk129, Jul 9, 2014.

1. davidhk129

davidhk129

Win 8.1.1 Pro, 32-bit on a Dell laptop with 2 GB ram, 93.1 GB available out of 109 GB on C local drive.
    Windows Updates set at manual.

Every time when I have a bunch of "important" updates and 1 or 2 "optional" updates to install, (such as today I have 13 important updates and 1 optional), I will have to go through these agonizing steps......

Install the "important" updates first, which will take some time,
    then wait for the system to " work on the updates " which will again take sometime,
    then when it reaches 100 %, it starts restarting, again it will take some time,
    then I will have to sign in, THAT also takes sometime.
    NOW, I will have to go back to install the Optional update and repeat the vicious cycle as above.

What's my beef ?........................
    WHY oh why can't I install BOTH the "Important" and the "Optional" updates at the same time ???
    Windows 7 will do that, why not Win8 ?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    davidhk129, Jul 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. davidhk129

bassfisher6522

It does for my on my windows 8.1 laptop and desktop (laptop is a Samsung and desktop is custom built). It just may be a Dell thing....I can't stand Dell products but I really don't have a clue.

bassfisher6522, Jul 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. davidhk129

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Not sure which of the three potential "manual" settings you've selected for windows updates, but....
    When I check manually for windows updates, like yesterday, and there are 12 important and 1 optional, I just select the link marked optional, check it and then click the install button and all 13 were installed, just as bassfisher has suggested above.
    Maybe try that method next time and see if you get the desired results.

Trouble, Jul 9, 2014
  4. davidhk129

davidhk129

Image 1.png

davidhk129, Jul 10, 2014
  5. davidhk129

LoneWolfMage

David~

I'm going to 'go out on a limb' here and suggest something regarding Updates.

Change the drop down menu for Important updates to Check for updates. Rather than download updates .

Yes you will still get a 'warning' about the updates to get.. but then you can 'pick and choose' which updates you want and WHEN you want to download them.

I too had the updates ( 16 important, 2 recommended and 1 optional to be exact, going by update history) and yep .. I agree its a PITA .. but it's the 'nature of the beast' when it comes to Windows updates ..unfortunately.

Then again it also only took me about 15 minutes total to download, and reboot, and rinse and repeat with all 19 of the updates .. I was doing other things at the time as well so time frame may be off by about 5 minutes , plus or minus.

When you say it "takes time" how long are you speaking of .???

As far as to why you have to download the important updates .. reboot.. and then do the optional updates and then reboot again.. it depends on what the updates are 'updating' ..

I too find it frustrating .. but the 'optional;' updates are just that OPTIONAL .. if you look at the 'More info' link for the updates .. you can see (as I'm sure you know) what is getting updated and if you need it or not you CAN choose whether to download them or 'hide' them ..

As far as the type/brand of computer making a difference .. (Dell, Acer, HP, Samsung,etc.) Mine is a custom built desktop... so the amount of updates , in my opinion and experience, has no bearing on the amount of updates you get is more a matter of the software, settings or what is installed within Windows itself OR what MS decides to 'send down the pipe' as far as updates are concerned.

Matter of fact .. I have Office 2010 installed .. and quite a few of the updates were for that (5, I believe.. just checked update history again and .. yep was 5 exactly for Office 2010)

LoneWolfMage, Jul 11, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question