MS Date of Windows 8 Activation Changed... WTH?

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Nibiru2012, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I installed and activated my Windows 8 Professional X64 on 11-17-12, checked the activation and it was as stated.

A couple of days ago I clicked on the Activation View link in the Computer / Properties window. It showed a date of 1-3-2013 ?? :confused:

I am not upset or whatever, just curious? Has anyone else checked their activations and noticed a date change?

Nibiru2012, Jan 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Nibiru2012

davehc

Never read of it before. Only thing I can think of, rather wild theory, is that someone has been messing with your bios or OS clock.

davehc, Jan 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Nibiru2012

bassfisher6522

I haven't seen it in my windows 7 or windows 8...but I have seen it with my own eyes on the wife's (school work) Asus EEE PC tablet which came with XP and now has windows 7 pro. At her school the network admin and tech lackeys have no clue what they are doing. Every day its something with the thing. It's ok now...so I have no clue.

bassfisher6522, Jan 9, 2013
  4. Nibiru2012

Kougar Moderator

I have two random guesses... either the activation date changes when it rechecks validation for any reason (hardware change, software service error, etc), or some update may have changed it or even caused the system to reverify authentication. For example, Microsoft did release a Windows 7 patch last year that reruns the activation process. I'd assume that would reset the activation date... I don't use Windows 8 anymore so I'm not aware of its patch history.

Kougar, Jan 9, 2013
  5. Nibiru2012

clifford (c_c)

Thats my theory as well. I was fixing to suggest a phone home theory on behalf of activation verification.

clifford, Jan 9, 2013
  6. Nibiru2012

Kougar Moderator

Yeah. I should elaborate that when I say "software service error", I was thinking of Windows Vista where one of the two interdependent authentication services would fail to start on boot. It would cause Vista to fail to authenticate and would force the system into an invalid license until it was re-authenticated (or the computer was restarted, which didn't always guarantee the software licensing service would load properly). I experienced that first hand on multiple occasions on a fully legitimate Ultimate install. If for some reason Windows 8 phoned home to reverify itself behind the scenes it might change the date, but that's just a guess.

Kougar, Jan 9, 2013
  7. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

Thanks guys for all your replies and suggestions. As I stated, it wasn't a big issue or anything it just piqued my curious nature is all.

I will keep an eye on things though for sure. It's a legitimate Windows 8 Professional Retail key so maybe it's as c_c has stated.

Nibiru2012, Jan 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question