moving to new motherboard problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by provator, Feb 25, 2015.

1. provator

provator

Hi, I have a problem and I'm wondering if someone can help me here. My computer crashed recently and it turned out to be the motherboard which is an old board (Asus P532-E SLI). And it is not made for Windows 8.1 really.

Now I've bought another used board and the computer won't boot up and I keep searching the internet and found that with a new major hardware change that Windows won't start. I have been told that my only solution is a fresh install. I have backed up everything.

How can I recover my activation for Windows and Office 2013?
    Thank you.

provator, Feb 25, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. provator

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Tough situation.
    You might try something like this....
    SOURCE: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Trouble, Feb 25, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. provator

provator

Hi, thank you. I came to the conclusion that my only easy option is to do a fresh install, I tried installing Window 8 and it does go as far as showing the Windows Logo and then it freezes. I cleared the BIOS and still the installation freezes at the beginning. I searched on the internet and read that it could be a hardware issue. I tried to install Windows 7 and during installation it gave the error message PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and then when I googled it, it said it was a hardware problem again. Could it be this motherboard (P5QL/EPU) I purchased second hand from Amazon? I will source another copy of XP and if that doesn't install then surely it is going back!

provator, Feb 26, 2015
  4. provator

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

With those types of error messages, it's pretty much a crap shoot a second hand mother board could be the issue.
    It could be a memory issue, you may want to try with a single stick of memory and even try by alternating a single stick in different slots and alternate sticks in alternate slots. Make sure that there isn't a memory compatibility issue, Windows 7 was very picky about cross matching memory with different specs, where as Windows XP was much more forgiving in that respect.
    It could be a hard drive issue. If you can, slave or otherwise connect that hard disk to another machine and run chkdsk with the /R switch and see what it comes up with.... any bad bits / sectors could be an issue.

Trouble, Feb 26, 2015
  5. provator

provator

Thank you, yes it is true it is the motherboard - it has taken me 3 days. I found out by taking another board from another computer and it worked straight away.

provator, Feb 26, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question