Moved Users off of SSD, now can't upgrade to 8.1. Workaround?

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by themarting, Oct 28, 2013.

1. themarting

themarting

So as the title says, I relocated my users folders to an HDD from an SSD. Now, when trying to upgrade to 8.1, i get an saying I cant upgrade because the users folder was redirected to another partition.

Does anyone know a workaround to this? It would be very unfortunate if windows starts not allowing this change, especially since its a common one for ssd users on desktops. However im sure theyll eventually patch the ability back in.

For now though, if anyone knows of a workaround id be happy to hear it

themarting, Oct 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. themarting

davehc

I wont ask why you redirected!

But would it not be simple to put it back where it belongs? Then go ahead with the upgrade.

If you are worried about losing any of your user data, you should copy the whole folder (user/username) to somewhere safe, and extract the wanted contents back into windows 8.1

davehc, Nov 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. themarting

themarting

Moved because the install is on a 60 gb SSD, and I've noticed user folders grow very quickly!

Would it be possible to move them back, upgrade, then re-relocate to hdd?

themarting, Nov 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question