Mouse issue in 8.1?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by samkostka, Dec 23, 2013.

1. samkostka

samkostka

Last time I checked, the general consensus was to not upgrade to 8.1 if you are a gamer, as the mouse sensitivity and smoothness of movement was pretty much ruined, making any games that don't use Direct or Raw input unplayable. Is this still the case? I know MS was working on a fix, has that come out yet, and if not are there any workarounds?

samkostka, Dec 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. samkostka

davehc

I am not a gamer, so cannot comment on the remarks regarding the mouse sensitivity. Only online games I play are Snooker and pool, both of which are very dependant on mouse movement. I have not experienced any problems with Windows 8/8.1
    8.1, otherwise, is an all round improvement on Windows 8 and, as it is free, should be recommended. But MS themselves state:
    "We do not recommend this solution for either XP or Vista users. If you do install the latest OS, We suggest that you use the retail product rather than the downloadable version "
    Obviously, this is mainly in anticipation of hardware issues.

davehc, Dec 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. samkostka

brkkab123

brkkab123, Dec 23, 2013
    davehc likes this.
  4. samkostka

davehc

Good heads up, brkkab

davehc, Dec 23, 2013
  5. samkostka

brkkab123

Hope it help's you out. I've got it installed on my pc, but I have a Xbox 360 gamepad I use.

brkkab123, Dec 23, 2013
  6. samkostka

davehc

There do seem to be users with mouse issues. You link could solve their problems - we hope???

davehc, Dec 23, 2013
  7. samkostka

brkkab123

Hopefully they put out a more thorough update for it soon. The article states the few games the update works with and then lists a registry hack for other games that have issue's. A lot of user's don't know how to mess with the registry and can seriously screw thing's up.

brkkab123, Dec 23, 2013
  8. samkostka

turklife

Thanks for the discussion and the fix for this, guys. This will be great for anyone that runs into similar problems. I know with people who are new to 8 and even people who have had it for awhile, problems like this run up and it can be a little difficult to find solutions sometimes.

turklife, Jan 21, 2014
  9. samkostka

brkkab123

You're welcome. Windows 8 & 8.1 are definitely different from other version's of Windows.

brkkab123, Jan 21, 2014
  10. samkostka

Trellum

Well, this is disturbing! I just bought my new laptop some weeks ago and it already had windows 8.1 installed. I was fearing this exact same thing. Sad to hear my fears weren't unfounded. I hope I can still play the walking dead game.

Trellum, Feb 16, 2014
  11. samkostka

brkkab123

Now that Bill Gates is back, hopefully 8 & 8.1 will get fixed. It's funny their was a article last week where he & the new C.E.O. couldn't get 8.1 to install on Bill's pc. Thus, I think that's why the 8.1 Update Rollup 1 got moved from a March to April release. I've seen some dumb bug's in 8.1 that shouldn't be there. I think they may have been Ballmer's way of saying goodbye (putting it as nice as possible, here. - Think the other end in reality). For example the reason System Image fails in 8.1 is because the the System Reserved partition is 50 mb. is too small. Shadow Copy doesn't have enough room to make the image. This mouse issue with some games is another dumb one. HomeGroup icon occasionally appearing on the desktop is dumb. The want to be Start button is extremely dumb. Why bother with a button, that take's you back to where you're try to avoid ?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    brkkab123, Feb 16, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question