Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Dipsy, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Dipsy

Dipsy

I was having some unrelated issues and installed a new ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 motherboard. It solved the issues but now I have a problem with my monitor ignoring the time set in power options. I didn't reinstall Windows 8.1 with the new motherboard opting instead to just let Windows discover and setup the new hardware which it did. Everything is working normally except my monitor now shuts off after only one minute. I checked power options and had the computer and monitor set to shut down after 20 minutes. The CPU enters sleep mode at the appointed 20 minute time. Advanced options for the plan are also set at 20 minutes. I've tried resetting the times and even resorted to the default settings but the monitor keeps shutting off after one minute. It lights up immediately with a mouse wiggle but is irritating. I've looked all through the UEFI and device manager but can't find anything that would contribute to or resolve the issue. Any ideas what the problem might be? There is nothing in the monitor functions menu other than the usual image quality settings for light, contrast, etc.

Dipsy, Oct 2, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Dipsy

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

First, double check and make sure you haven't a "blank" screen saver set for a 1 minute time.
    Second, with a brand new motherboard you might have to check the manufacturer for a BIOS update and also probably download and install their Chipset drivers along with any other that you think might be pertinent.
    Windows 8.1 does a pretty good job with installing a set of rudimentary drivers that will likely get you up and running but you'll probably want to check with the MoBo manufacturer for the real deal drivers.

Trouble, Oct 2, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Dipsy

Dipsy

Trouble you da man !!!!!!!! I haven't used a screen saver for years now and it never even entered my mind. Checked and sure enough it was a blank screen saver set at one minute. Must have came with a theme I installed (I liked the pictures). If you're ever out in Washington state dinner is on me!

UEFI update was the first order of business and then chipset drivers, etc. I feel embarrassed. Stumped by a simple screen saver.

Dipsy, Oct 2, 2014
  4. Dipsy

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

On my way... get your money ready. :)

Trouble, Oct 2, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question