MMOs

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by airplayne, Dec 9, 2013.

1. airplayne

airplayne

What Massive Multiplayer Online games are you playing?

For a few months now I have been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and have found it quite entertaining. Especially since they added the section where you are able to be involved in space battles. That brings me back to the days of playing X-Wing or Tie Fighter in DOS.

I have been interested in playing the new SimCity game, but have not had the time to check if it is free-to-play or not.

airplayne, Dec 9, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. airplayne

MyDigitalpoint

The only game I used to play was Runescape, but actually don't have time for massive multiplayer online games, and not even to play regular games on my computer.

Sometimes I'm tempted to play social games, but I usually end up getting mad due to the many techical problems that they have, particularly those from Zynga.

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. airplayne

airplayne

Yeah, I steer clear of most facebook games since a lot of them require you to have a bunch of friends playing the game also so you can get anywhere. Right now I only play Farm Heroes Saga, just because enough of my friends are already playing it.

airplayne, Dec 11, 2013
  4. airplayne

MorgUK

I played the Star Wars beta, it was alright. My friend just started playing it recently too, I'll have to check it out again. Apparently you can now have fights in the spaceships!

MorgUK, Dec 12, 2013
  5. airplayne

airplayne

Yup, they just recently launched space battle portion. They can work like the flashpoints.

airplayne, Dec 12, 2013
  6. airplayne

orz

I've currently got sucked back into World of Warcraft, I haven't played the current expansion which is drawing to an end and got back into it so I can experience the upcoming one and enjoy it to its fullest!

orz, Jan 1, 2014
  7. airplayne

MorgUK

I'm glad I'm not on an MMO at the moment. Thinking about it, it really sucks your life away. You put all your spare time into it instead of friends and family and going outside. Sure it's good to game with your friends, MMO's take it too far.

MorgUK, Jan 2, 2014
  8. airplayne

LoneWolfMage

Hello~

This will be a slightly long post. I figured I would give as much information as possible that I have found by playing the following 2 games to give an idea what they are like.

If you are interested in Dungeons and Dragons(D&D) based MMO Games may I suggest the following 2 titles.

Dungeons and Dragons Online: Link (also known as DDO) Nice game. Solidly made. This particular game I have played ALMOST from its inception in 2006. It is developed by Turbine and distributed/published by Warner Brothers.

The community for this game is 'ok'. They are not as, shall we say, accepting of newcomers as some other MMO's. But they are quite active in the forums (When they are working correctly) and do voice their opinions of the game on a regular basis.

Multiple characters are allowed on one account.

It has quite a few races and classes available to play in the game and you CAN do "multi classing" when you reach a certain level. You can form a guild if you like with just yourself and a couple friends(after a certain level) as well as acquire an airship for your guild specifically(again after a certain guild level) which is a nice touch as you can have things available on it that you would not normally see in the normal "game play" in order to "buff" yourself and you respective party before you go out on a quest.

As far as a “level cap” I know there IS one .. just not sure what it is as I have not reached it.

Cost: Free to play. For the most part. The "caveat" to that is, in order to be able get to much of the "higher level content" you DO have to have a subscription as a "VIP"(which is available as a monthly, semi-monthly or yearly option) . There are however some nice perks ( besides the "higher level" content) should you decide to go that route. You CAN also by "Turbine points" either via credit card OR by buying a game card wherever they are sold in your area. The turbine points are ONE of the perks as a VIP that you get a set amount FREE every month you stay as a paid VIP player. With the Turbine points you can get extras for your character (gear, buffs, temporary access passes to the "higher level" content) that are NOT available as a Standard account player.

The second one I would recommend is,

Neverwinter Online Link (NOT to be confused with Neverwinter Nights): Another D&D based game. This one was released as FULLY OPEN RELEASE in May of last year(even though different sources may say June). Again another nice solidly made game. Since it is a young game, it still has its growing pains but are tolerable, for the most part. This game is Developed by Cryptic Studios(using their own “in house” game engine) and distributed/published by Perfect World Entertainment.

The community(forums) are VERY active and very “voiceful” about their likes and dislikes of aspects of the game and it does seem like the developers do ‘’take to heart’ what the community has to say and try to implement those changes in the various patches that they implement in the game.

This particular game I have played from the tail end of open beta till present day. ( Literally was playing it earlier today) This game like DDO has multiple classes ( 6 at this time) and, 5 or 6 different races. Multi-classing is NOT available in this game. The game is also loosely based on D&D rules which seems to be a conglomeration of v3 and v4 depending on your perspective. Guilds are available HOWEVER you MUST have 5 people in a party all online at the same time to form a guild. Otherwise you must happen to bump into another guilds officer to be able to join one. There are no guild ships in this game but there is a communal guild bank available.

Where Never winter differs from DDO is there is only one shard/server that you can choose for MAIN game play however there is what’s known as a “Preview shard” where it is essentially what the name implies. It’s there for you (if you transfer or copy your character to that shard) to preview or test what will essentially be available in the ‘main shard’ as well as testing different ‘builds’ of your character. Copying and playing your character on the ‘preview shard’ DOES NOT affect anything on your character on the ‘main shard’ .

Level cap for this game is 60. Which I have reached on a couple of characters. Depending on your playing style/time it can be reached quickly ( a matter of days) or at SOMEWHAT of your own pace. If you gameplay time is average ( 3 or 4 days a week) you might cap out in a couple weeks. I have heard of people capping out in a week or less. Others I have heard of taking almost a month. Again this just depend on your playing time/style.

Multiple characters are allowed on one account for this game as well.

Neverwinter also has what known as The Foundry. The Foundry is a collection of user created content that IS playable. It gives players a chance to create their own quests. Which, also gives a very nice alternative, if you start to find the normal gameplay quests boring or redundant.

Cost: Like DDO it is free to play. The difference is ENTIRE WORLD is available, other than two areas that you must be at the level cap as well as one area you MUST be in a guild to access. Everything that is available in the pay store is EVENTUALLY available to your character either by leveling, or earning it in game. You do NOT need to spend money to get the premium items unless you want them faster.

I personally like Neverwinter better. The controls are easier. The community tends to be more accepting of newcomers and are willing to help if and when you happen to need it. As well as the fact that is essentially is truly free to play with the OPTION to use real life money to get better items.

Just my thoughts on two different games that you might like to try.

~LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Jan 7, 2014
  9. airplayne

airplayne

I have played D&D online, and thought it was alright. It is a bit difficult for a newbie to get anyone else to help out on a quest.

It is pretty well made, but I got stuck on one small quest and just haven't been back to try and get through it.

I have also played EverQuest (via my brother-in-laws account), but found it rather uninteresting as I really didn't see there were any real "quests" to go on. You basically just go around and fight monsters and whatnot.

airplayne, Jan 7, 2014
  10. airplayne

LoneWolfMage

Airplayne~

Regarding DDO, you are correct, it is tough to just get "general help" from people that are milling about in the various areas of the game or even in the forums. Me and my other 2 buddies ( one in Florida the other in England) essentially play by ourselves and we have managed to get quite far. We were all VIP at one point, each one of us would take turns gifting subscriptions when we could to each other. We do have a guild and an airship , ad well as all of us having multi classed characters .

We haven't played since the 3 of us downloaded and got involved in Neverwinter. Which was about a week after it went to full open release. We "check in" at DDO every now and again just to keep our accounts 'active'. We find the graphics, playability, and community in game and on the forums better overall than DDO.
    (yes I know I said in my other post I played since the tail end of closed beta which is true, the other 2 didn't join in till AFTER the final open release)

EQ I have not played, I have heard about it and heard it was good but also heard the same as you described about a lot of monster fighting. In NW there IS, I will admit , quite a bit of monster fighting going on which can be a bit of a turn off for people. But the storyline, lore and other aspects that they have implemented in NW,(in my opinion at least) help to break up the monster fighting and give a nice balance to the game.

I will say though one of the biggest pains is the downloading of the game(NW that is) , right now it sits at an average between 13 and 15GB in size(as of my last time downloading the game) , this depends I have found on location for some strange reason. If I have to ever re download it I will usually start it at night before retiring for the night and let it go over night. Or ill do it on a day when I know I wont be at the computer very much for various reasons.

Just my thoughts.
    ~LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Jan 9, 2014
  11. airplayne

airplayne

@LoneWolfMage I have the same issue with Star Wars: The Old Republic. The game client is 25 gigs, and they do updates pretty much every week, and with my relatively slow internet connection it can take up to a half hour to download and install all of the updates. I have, in the past, just pick a day and check if there are any updates, as they really don't have a set day of the week for this, that I have noticed. I just let my computer sit and download and install, that way I can get on and play when I usually have time.

I haven't been able to play lately because my monitor died on my desktop pc (which is the machine I usually play on). I pretty much will have to wait until I get my tax return to be able to buy a new monitor.

airplayne, Jan 9, 2014
  12. airplayne

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I played Final Fantasy XI for about 6 years.

Now I've been playing Guild Wars 2 for a bit over a year and I enjoy it.

Core, Jan 16, 2014
  13. airplayne

Trellum

I used to play Run escape, but that's just in the past. I no longer play that kind of games because they are really time-consuming and addictive. I never want to fall for that again. NEVER again!

Trellum, Feb 16, 2014
  14. airplayne

NeroFerk

If my computer could play them, I would play League of Legends and Maplestory. They are fun but other people can be a-holes. League of legends with my friends is fun even when they mess you up. Maplestory is fun when you have friends to talk to when you are grinding.

NeroFerk, Feb 26, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question