MMO Gaming and Windows 8

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CSX, May 15, 2013.

1. CSX

CSX

Hi folks,

I'm looking onto purchasing Windows 8 and I'm curious if there any performance issues or if any of you fine people have noticed any drastic performance decrease when playing your games as opposed to Windows 7?

I play MMO's mainly TERA and AION. I know benchmarking websites say "oh its garbage" or "rada rada rada" but I'm interested in the opinions of people that use it everyday instead of just a few benchmarks. I'm happy with Windows 7 but I would like to learn Windows 8 by being a user for my everyday PC tasks. I'll be playing FFXIV:ARR a lot also when it's released so if anyone that has access to the beta can provide some feedback it would be very much appreciated!

It'll run on a:
    3770k i7 @4.5ghz
    16gb ram
    1x 580GTX 3gb
    128SSD

Thanks~

(sorry in advance for not browsing the forums for threads with inquiries/opinions similar before making another thread)

CSX, May 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. CSX

themarksquared

I've been using Windows 8 for at least 3 months now and so far, everything is running smooth. Heck, I think the operating system's performance is better than Windows 7. As for MMOs, I have tried TERA before on Windows 8, and everything runs well. I have no problems, and have no complaints about Windows 8.

themarksquared, May 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. CSX

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

None whatsoever. In fact, most games and apps on my system have gotten a noticeable increase in responsiveness.

You have nothing to worry about.

Core, May 16, 2013
  4. CSX

CSX

Nice, have my copy on order and looking forward to it.

Thanks for the replies guys~

CSX, May 16, 2013
  5. CSX

inb4

There was actually a rumour about how having Windows 8 as an OS for gaming will cause compatibility issues. That rumour has been proved false as performance has gotten up with responsiveness and speed. (Like stated above)

The only downside I see is the new Metro view, but that is easily disabled back to normal Windows.

inb4, May 19, 2013
  6. CSX

Lokitns

Like many others I have actually noticed a significant increase in my gaming performance since switching to 8. I've generally gotten a 10-20 fps increase in every single one of my games except ARMA, which always has seemed to be low no matter what I do.

Lokitns, May 22, 2013
  7. CSX

CSX

Just got done installing it and man, it's rocking out. Took about 10-15min to Format/Reinstall over W7, it was so awesome it had me stun locked lol. My main MMO's (TERA, AION and RO2) are running very dang good if not better. Also working on Two Screens makes this Metro thingy simply amazing.

I have to say. . .I'm very impressed with this "disaster of an OS" lol

Thanks again for the replies guys~

CSX, May 25, 2013
  8. CSX

mintpp

Everything I've heard about Windows 8 has pointed to improved performance in WoW and other MMOs. Personally, I haven't upgraded my Gaming PC to Win8 yet but I probably will if I pick up WoW again because the performance boost is there.

mintpp, May 27, 2013
  9. CSX

Tyelander

I played AION for a while, it was pretty fun since I played with a couple friends. Sadly I left that game after a couple months of playing it nonstop.. I have never actually played World of Warcraft. Never really wanted to. The game to me seemed a bit over the top with the amount of hours you need to put into it to be good at the game.

Tyelander, May 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question