missing sound...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viniltly, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viniltly

viniltly

After installation of windows developers preview , I cant hear any sound from my pc,even start up tone. Anyone help me.

viniltly, Oct 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. viniltly

Ian Administrator

Welcome aboard viniltly :). What are you system specs and how did you install Windows 8 - is it a full install or in a virtual environment (Virtualbox / VM Ware)?

If you view device manager, are there any entries for your audio device, or any driverless entries?

Ian, Oct 19, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. viniltly

Trevor Green

Likewise, I have no sound either and the keyboard keeps defaulting American (damn it!) But more concerned about the sound problem. Any tips?

Trevor Green, Apr 15, 2012
  4. viniltly

davehc

On top of Ian's post, your motherboard name would help - or the computer model (Acer xxx HP etc)

davehc, Apr 16, 2012
  5. viniltly

Bahram_Persia

Hello! I have a sound problem in my PC. I DIDN'T have ANY problem with my sound card (Realtek, ALC 850) in Windows 7 64bit but I have the problem after installing Windows 8 64bit on my PC. When I try to install the sound driver, Windows 8 doesn't allow the Setup.exe (Realtek wizard for ALC850 setup file) to copy the driver and the setup encounters with problems and finishes with installing no drivers!. I also tried compatibility wizard for the setup.exe and chose "Windows Vista" but it didn't work. So, I tried to get the driver by windows update and the driver installed.
    But the problem is the malfunctioning! I have a 6-channel speaker and it seems the installed driver (via Windows update) is for a 2-channel speaker or something like that. Every time I try to configure my speaker from Windows (by: Right clicking on Speaker Icon in the Taskbar --> Playback devices --> Speakers --> Configure --> 5.1 surround --> next ....) and click on the Finish button, Windows shows an error dialog that says: "Format not supported by this device!" and the configuration doesn't complete. In addition, when I want to test my 6-channel speaker (by: Right clicking on Speaker Icon in the Taskbar --> Playback devices --> Speakers --> Configure --> 5.1 surround --> Test ....), Windows shows an error dialog with this title "Device In Use" that says: " The device is being used by another application. If you continue, that application may stop working. Do you want to continue?"; I click on "yes" and the test sound play. The problem is the malfunction of the sound driver which is installed via Windows Update.
    I can't even change my speaker configuration in Sound Effect (Realtek-Gigabyte sound manager) and every time I change the configuration from "2CH Speaker" to "6CH Speaker", it resets to "2CH Speaker".
    Summary, I can't hear any sound from Rear, Center and Sub-woofer speakers. It seems that they have been kind of mute by Windows 8!!!!
    I was wondering if someone could tell me what the problem is! Is there any way to fix this? If this problem aren't going to be solved, I will have to Install Windows 7!
    Thank you in advance!

Here are the specifications of my (almost!!) old PC:
    CPU: Intel P4 3.52GHZ (OC), FSB: 850MHZ (OC), 2MB Cache Memory
    RAM: 2x1GB (422MHZ, OC)
    MB: Gigabyte 8IPE775-G (rev.: 1.1)
    HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA III and 2TB WD Caviar Black SATA III
    SOUND Card: Realtek ALC850 CODEC

Bahram_Persia, Dec 15, 2012
  6. viniltly

Smackz

Reinstall your sound driver. Try restarting your computer. You can find a sound driver for your speakers at your computer manufacturer's website if you have a computer made by a popular manufacturer like HP or Toshiba.

Smackz, Dec 21, 2012
  7. viniltly

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

The OP hasn't bothered to come back, and the second support issue was resolved in another thread. Closing this thread now to prevent further necroing.

Core, Dec 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question