Minty surprise

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by davehc, Oct 23, 2013.

1. davehc

davehc

I am, and always have been, a strong supporter of Microsoft. I have tried Linux several time, up to, about, three years ago. Each time it(several different breeds) has crashed within a few days, and has been cumbersome to use.
    As a result of pressure, and requests for help, from my grandchildren, I had to swallow my pride and load up Minty.

My goodness, what a surprise!
    The installation was a breeze, although I had to do a little fiddling with Easybcd at the end. That was very much my fault, as I crashed in without googling for a "Howto".
    The en route explanations of how to move along and, similarly, the text messages on most things one attempts, are very easy to understand and helpful. Far better, I must say, than anything I have seen in any Windows product.
    I had to battle through all the customisation, as it was all alien to me, but I got there in the end. Everything piece of hardware I use in windows, was setup and waiting.
    The various graphical effects were easy to load, and quite stunning.
    Performance? Hard to discern, but, imho, on par with Windows 8 or 8.1. I didn't run any benchmark type tests, but I did get the feeling that it battled, memory wise, with graphics.
    Internet browsing (Firefox built in) was definitely slicker.
    All in all, I would say that it has now come down to a personal choice - Apple, Microsoft, or Linux. Of course, the big difference is the price!

I know this is a Windows 8 forum, of which I am a strong contributor, but I did feel a need to pass this on for possible sceptics. I have no ides if other ditros are as good. I now (for the intention of passing on help to my loved ones) have a triple boot. Window 8.1, windows 7, and Linux mint.
    I am stuck with old habits, so will continue to use, and enjoy, Windows.

davehc, Oct 23, 2013
    Core likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. davehc

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I used Mint off and on over the years and I liked it a lot. I'd say it suffered only from lackluster graphics support; getting my Radeon cards to not run hot and with fans constantly at full blast required some finagling. But beyond that, I could definitely see the appeal of a Linux system. If I didn't have a Mac, I'd probably still run Mint on my PC as my primary OS. It's not as easy to get to work with other devices, such as the iPhone, as Windows is, but the interface is so much nicer and you can actually configure it to your liking. Also, the software repository is just amazing.

Damn, stop talking about Mint...you're making me want to install it again. (Is it hard to get it to dual boot with Windows 8.1?)

Core, Oct 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. davehc

davehc

davehc, Oct 24, 2013
    Core likes this.
  4. davehc

yodap

This is Blasphemy!!!!!! 2 mods pushing Linux here.
    JK.
    I have several rigs that mainly run [email protected] or Boinc. Well who can afford MS Windows on all of them. Mint is my choice (Ubuntu has gotten too heavy and less customizable). The only draw back is the projects that utilize and run on GPU's are hard or impossible to set up for a linux noob like me. CPU projects run better than on Windows.
    There is a longtime battle between Nvidia and Linus Torvalds.

yodap, Oct 25, 2013
  5. davehc

davehc

LOL. Well, we have to study the opposition in order to argue the merits of Windows

davehc, Oct 25, 2013
  6. davehc

themarting

Although i am and have always been a windows fan, regardless of its criticisms, I understand the need for other operating systems and am always open minded. Like you, i tried other operating systems before but none felt right. I had to go through command lines too often for my liking just to make use of a secondary drive or partition.

I wouldnt mind giving minty a try though, is there an option to boot from USB to try it out?

themarting, Oct 27, 2013
  7. davehc

oboedad55

http://www.linuxmint.com/

oboedad55, Oct 28, 2013
  8. davehc

davehc

That I don't know. But there are live DVDs, which offer the option to install from the DVD. That is how I started.

http://livecdlist.com/linux-mint

I have, though, thoroughly investigated it (to my satisfaction) and have now removed it again.

But, anyway, this was an observation made on out general section. I would prefer it not to deepen into a longer thread.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    davehc, Oct 28, 2013
  9. davehc

yodap

I've tried this from sourceforge.net. All the latest Mint versions are available on their download list. Good instructions.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

yodap, Oct 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question