Migrating Win8 from HDD to SSD

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by cuberace, Nov 10, 2012.

1. cuberace

cuberace

Hello,

So I recently purchased a MSI GE-60 with a builtin in 1TB HDD and a msata slot. Seeing the potential, I bought a muskin 240GB SSD. The plan was to clone the HDD onto the SSD and then use the HDD as a data drive. I've been running into several problems with this, mainly once the cloning itself is done.

Here's what the disks look like before getting started:

First, I used ghost 11.5 but that did not work at all. It didn't clone all the partitions. I then used EaseUS Partition Master. Here's what that looks like to begin with:

[​IMG]

Essentially, what I did was copy the SYSTEM and C: OS_Install partitions onto the unallocated space of the SSD. All the files were indeed transferred over, I confirmed that by booting from a Ubuntu USB and comparing the two drives.

The problem is that when I remove the old HDD and try to boot from the SSD it gives me the error:

0xc0000225
    winload.efi is missing or corrupt

I think this error has to do with the BCD, so I tried to run repair from the USB, but it won't work. I can, however, open command prompt, so I decided to try this route.

c:\windows\system32>bootrec /RebuildBcd

It finds the windows partition, and when I tell it to fix it, it just says:

The requested system device cannot be found

I tried to manually create the BCD following the directions here. I get to:

bcdedit /store c:\Boot\BCD /import c:\boot\bcd.temp

This command ends up failing, It tells me that the target drive can't be found.

At this point I don't know what else to do, I tried making sure the disk is active, but disk part tells me that I can't activate GPT disks. Anyone have any clues as to how I can move my HDD over to the SSD?

cuberace, Nov 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. cuberace

davehc

I had a similar problem. In my case, I could not install Windows 8 on a newly purchased Laptop. This is what worked, after quite a bit of adjustment. I created another partition. First of all, through the device manager, uninstalled anything of significance, such as the graphics card.
    I then, with Acronis (You could use a free image program such as Macrium), I made an image of the OS- including the MBR. I put this image on my newly created partition. In your case, on a second partition on the SDD
    Next step was to boot up with the Acronis (with, again in your case, the sdd in position). Selected recover and recovered the image to the first partition.
    This is a little scary and, should you want to give it a go, you may find yourself, worst case, having to totally reconstruct the format of the sdd so the choice is yours!

davehc, Nov 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. cuberace

lucasbytegenius

I used DriveImage XML and a second installation of Windows to run it on to move Windows 7 from a smaller HD to a larger HD. However I think your problem is that the HD you're moving from is larger than the drive you're moving to.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question