Middle-click on Start Screen hotspot crashes Metro

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Core, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Core

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

If I hover the mouse over the desktop's bottom left corner Start Screen hotspot, and press the middle-click/scroll wheel button on my mouse, it crashes the whole Metro interface. The desktop still runs fine, but the Start Screen, Charm bar, etc aren't there anymore. There is no way to get back to the Start Screen without hitting ctrl-alt-del and signing out & then back in.

This is on Win 8 RP x64 with a Logitech mouse, Setpoint x64 and AMD's Radeon driver for RP.

I posted @ Microsoft Community about it, too. Have you come across this?

Core, Oct 8, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Core

davehc

It doesn't do it for me. Have you any programs running in which you can modify keyboard input - Classic menu for example. You may have inadvertently set something wrongly.

davehc, Oct 8, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Core

No, nothing like that. I reinstalled the ATI drivers, this time w/ admin privileges, and now it doesn't do that anymore. Weird.

Core, Oct 8, 2012
  4. Core

davehc

That's a new one! Never heard of an Admin need to install drivers. Maybe there was a hiccup the first time you installed

davehc, Oct 8, 2012
  5. Core

Yeah, there probably was something off with the initial install. In general, though, I haven't had that many difficulties with Windows 8.

Core, Oct 8, 2012
  6. Core

davehc

"I haven't had that many difficulties with Windows 8. "
    I am having huge problems comprehending the viscous attacks on Windows 8. Yes, it should have had a start menu. But when I reflect on the astronomical posts, in windows 7 and Vista, on how to install the "Classic" menu, I do wonder why the whiners are so focused on the lack of the legacy Start menu..
    I am using both Metro and the classic with ease. Whilst in the legacy desktop, it is difficult to discern any difference from Windows 7. All the tricks and customisation which applied to Windows 7, all work as well, for Windows 8.
    Like yourself, from day one, I have not encountered any mind shattering problems.

davehc, Oct 9, 2012
  7. Core

I have to admit, I've said a few glib and derogatory remarks about Win 8 over this past year. When I gave the first preview a spin, Metro and the lack of a Start button really turned me off. I uninstalled it almost immediately and did not care to give it a proper try. Then again, I had very little reason to check it out properly because I switched to OSX last year, using an iMac as my desktop, a Macbook as my laptop, and an iPhone as my, well, phone. The Apple ecosystem was so complete that I figured I had no reason to bother with anything Microsoft.

Over time, though, I got frustrated with my iMac's lack of upgrade options; my PC was twice as fast at encoding video files, and aside from adding RAM there was nothing I could do with the iMac to improve its performance. I read about the changes to the Office product, tried the 2013 Preview myself, and found that Microsoft had also finally redesigned their Hotmail service, rebranding it as Outlook.com. I thought maybe they are serious about creating an ecosystem that could rival that of Apple's - a comprehensive, logical, and intuitive user experience over their entire product line. And if that's the case, then just maybe the new Windows 8 interface isn't just an afterthought after all.

I decided to use the Release Preview for a while as my main desktop, and also decided against installing any third-party tools to bring back the Start button. I figured it was better to try the interface as intended, instead of trying to circumvent it. Surprisingly, I have found that after using it for a while, I like the Start Screen better than I did the Start button! This is because when I used the Start menu, I always pinned the programs I used the most in the first window of the Start menu. If I needed access to other applications, I would browse through the ever-growing hierarchy of folders to find them. What I like about the Start Screen, once I have pinned on it the applications I use the most, is that those annoying "Uninstall product X" shortcuts, links to EULAs, etc. are entirely missing. All I see are the applications. Once I got used to this way of working, it became a seamless experience.

What also helped a lot was figuring out that I could right-click on the bottom left Start hotspot on the desktop to get fast access to admin features, Task Manager, Control Panel, etc. Until then I had always gone through the Charm bar to search for the Control Panel.

I have come across some issues with Windows 8, but none of them have been showstoppers, and most can be resolved. I can't find a Win8-compatible chipset driver for my motherboard, but it's Intel that needs to fix that. I found that my favourite browser, Firefox, crashed every few minutes on Windows 8, but I resolved that by installing the latest beta version. It's a new operating system, so drivers and applications will take some time to become fully compatible.

Although most of my work on my desktop is done in multiple windows, I have come to appreciate some of the new Metro apps. Outlook 2013 doesn't yet sync with Google Calendar, but the Metro calendar app does. Windows 8 connects very seamlessly with Facebook, Twitter, and even some Google services. As an active social media user, I appreciate that. Metro is still a little clunky to me, but I see potential there and think it will greatly improve over time.

The system feels faster and more responsive than Windows 7. I also like that file transfers have accurate completion estimates now, instead of the old maybe-four-hours-maybe-four-days. And I love the default theme in Windows 8; the 2D look is somehow reminiscent of some Linux distros, and looks really elegant to me.

I am definitely going to upgrade as soon as Windows 8 is released.

Core, Oct 9, 2012
  8. Core

JohnSmith420

There is a tool called Windows Memory Diagnostic which conducts memory tests to identify RAM problem. Run the tool and check if that solves your problem. You can use a hotfix available online. Alternatively, the steps given below can be very useful for you. Follow them until your issue is completely fixed:

Run Windows Memory Diagnostic

1. Open the Start Screen.
    2. Type Windows Memory Diagnostic.
    3. Press ENTER.
    4. Click Restart now and check for problems.

Use System Restore

2. Type System Restore.
    3. Press ENTER.
    4. Click Next, select a restore point and then continue the wizard.

Run System File Checker

2. Type Command Prompt.
    3. Press ENTER.
    4. Type SFC /SCANNOW in the window and press ENTER.
    5. Restart your computer when you're done.

JohnSmith420, Nov 9, 2013
  9. Core

davehc

Hi John. Welcome to the forum.
    You may not have noticed that the thread is a year out of date. perhaps you meant to start a new thread, as your post does not seem quite in context with the preceding posts.?

davehc, Nov 9, 2013
  10. Core

davidhk129

You'll see the same profile in Windowsforums.com with the same typical copy and paste for all symptoms.

davidhk129, Nov 9, 2013
  11. Core

davehc

Thank David. I had a quick look over there..
    No problem - yet!
    I'll keep an eye open for future posts.

davehc, Nov 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question