Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'Security' started by nonsiccus, Aug 18, 2013.

1. nonsiccus

nonsiccus

Hey everyone,

I just attempted to install Microsoft Security Essentials from the Ninite website (it's an automated installer, pretty useful if you haven't used it before) but it was denied saying that MSE was already installed on the system but was called Windows Defender.

I pretty much bypassed Windows Vista, but I recall that Windows Defender was from that era? Can someone confirm whether or not this is the case and that I'm safe using Windows Defender? Otherwise, what other AV software should I be using for Windows 8?

nonsiccus, Aug 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. nonsiccus

brkkab123

In Windows 8 Windows Defender is Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft just changed the name of it in 8, like they did with other feature's. Defender is anti-virus/spyware protection. That's why M.S.E. won't install.

brkkab123, Aug 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. nonsiccus

Robinb9

You are exactly correct, MSE is Windows Defender in Windows 8 and is excellent to use for an antivirus program in Windows 8

Robinb9, Sep 17, 2013
  4. nonsiccus

davidhk129

........Can someone confirm whether or not this is the case and that I'm safe using Windows Defender?
    Otherwise, what other AV software should I be using for Windows 8?

Windows Defender is MSE. Yes, it is safe to use.
    If you observe the precaution guideline of Internet surfing, it is not necessary to install a 3rd party AV.
    If you are careless surfing the web, no AV will be able to protect you.

This is my suggestion.....( I use this method myself ).....
    Use the built-in Windows Defender as your "real time protection" AV.
    Install the Free version of Malwarebytes as your "on demand protection".
    Run the Malwarebytes in regular basis to make sure your machine is clean.

Real time protection = it starts running the moment you turn on the computer.
    On demand protection = it starts scanning only if you manually turn it on. It stops after the scanning is over.

Download link to Malewarebytes:
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    davidhk129, Sep 18, 2013
  5. nonsiccus

Robinb9

Exactly!

Robinb9, Sep 18, 2013
  6. nonsiccus

RomanAnthonysMama

Wow, that's so funny, I literally just made a thread asking about Window's Defender and how safe it is before I read this! I wish I saw this before! My dad was using it a lot on his Dell with Vista, so I was wondering how legit it is. My Window's 8 laptop came with it, I'm almost positive, but I've always been too nervous to use it!

RomanAnthonysMama, Sep 21, 2013
  7. nonsiccus

davehc

You will get many points of view on this. Defender, will perform the task for which you dad uses it. Many ant virus programs can do the same thing. From reading, almost without exception, they mostly seem to have small weakness. You, or your dad, can cover your chances by using one as a general purpose protection, and occasionally run a thorough check with another. Malwarebytes free is a recommendation for that purpose. Hackers are constantly inventing new ways to get into your computer, so nothing is fool proof. Best be more wary of the kind of ages you visit!

fwiw. A point has, in the last few days, been raised on another forum to which I belong. Whenever possibly, only download third party software from the source. It seems that there are downloadable copies of "Classic Shell" floating around at the moment, which have an attached Trojan.!!

davehc, Sep 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question