Microsoft Security Essentials fails AV-Test antivirus certification for the second time

Discussion in 'Security' started by Nibiru2012, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

Microsoft Security Essentials fails AV-Test antivirus certification for the second time

Oopsie! ‘Once bitten twice shy’, but that’s not exactly what people are going to think after they check out Microsoft Security Essentials’ performance in the monthly AV-Test antivirus certification. The result is what it was the previous month: FAIL! Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) failed the antivirus certification for the second consecutive month.

AV-Test conducts antivirus software testing every month, pitting 25 programs against 0-day attacks and known malware while also testing the repair capabilities of the software and its usability. For an antivirus suite to certify, it must score at least 11 out of a possible 18 points across the three tested categories; MSE scored 10 and hence couldn’t clear it.

Though all the tests were run on Windows 7, but maybe the Microsoft Security team may want to look at these results. Food for thought, maybe?

To read the rest of this interesting article and to go to the AV-Test website via links, click HERE.

Nibiru2012, Jan 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Nibiru2012

bassfisher6522

So what are you using for AV protection. I've been thinking about switching to something different lately....and this report just adds to my concern about MSE for some time now. I've been bitten twice by MSE not picking what it claims it can do.

bassfisher6522, Jan 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Nibiru2012

clifford (c_c)

Before I came to the forums 4 years ago, I wasn't using AV software. MSE is better than nothing and since it uses little resources, I have no reason to uninstall it.

clifford, Jan 18, 2013
  4. Nibiru2012

Kougar Moderator

So soon as Windows 8 comes out, MSE starts doing terribly in AV testing? Was hoping it was a one-time event but this proves it isn't...

I prefer MSE for the tiny footprint and that it never gives me false positives... almost every other AV suite I've tried will annoy the hell out of me with false positives, especially with [email protected]'s temporary working files. When a program locks [email protected] out of those files it will result in the corruption of the work unit in progress and nuke up to a day's worth of folding worst case. I'll stick to MSE, but I'll keep an eye on those perf tests...

Kougar, Jan 18, 2013
    davehc likes this.
  5. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I use two brands of internet security software. On my personal desktop I have F-Secure, the two 'house' computers are running BitDefender IS 2013.

Both are excellent AV/IS programs and work very well.

Kougar: if you'll note and go to the AV-Test link from the SOURCE page, you'll see that all the testing was done on Windows 7 platforms, not Windows 8.

Nibiru2012, Jan 19, 2013
  6. Nibiru2012

Kougar Moderator

Oh I'm quite aware it's tested on Win 7. I was simply commenting that MSE had a pretty stellar record up until Windows 8 came along, almost as if Microsoft took resources away from maintaining the program or directed them elsewhere.

Kougar, Jan 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question