Microsoft Office 2013

Discussion in 'Software' started by Trouble, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

It sort of looks like, perhaps, maybe.... does anyone really know?
    Office 2013 Retail EULA looks similar to what was formerly considered an OEM type license.
    In that, it is non-transferable.
    Say, for instance, you buy a retail copy of Microsoft Office 2013 today, rush home and install it on your computer.
    All goes well and you're learning the new interface and generally getting along pretty well with the product.
    Then, sometime overnight your computer has a melt down.... I don't know lets call it a lightning strike or something and you have to replace it or replace many system components.
    It looks like you are going to be out of luck when you attempt to reinstall your retail copy of Microsoft Office 2013 or are you? I guess someone will find out sooner or later.
    Read more..... http://www.theage.com.au/technology...13-die-with-your-computer-20130208-2e3a1.html

Trouble, Feb 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

clifford (c_c)

Probably because they want everyone to migrate to Office 365, if multiple machine flexibility is a desire.

Office is not a package deal with the OS and shouldn't be locked to a specific machine the same way the OS is.

Requiring another purchase of Office when upgrading machines is going a bit far.

clifford, Feb 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Yeah, it's machine-specific. If you buy a new computer, for whatever reason, you need a new Office license, no matter what.

I've helped my family members and their businesses convert to LibreOffice, and they've had no difficulties thus far, after about two years of use. No reason, really, for them to go back to Office. I tried the Office 2013 preview, and I thought it was terrific, but those license terms have put me completely off. What with the Windows 8 secure boot bullshit, and the utter failure that is the Windows Store, I really am seriously considering moving back to Mac. Windows 8 is a great improvement over 7, but I don't like the path Microsoft is taking.

Core, Feb 27, 2013
  4. Trouble

clifford (c_c)

Microsoft reverses one-PC Office 2013 licensing restriction

clifford, Mar 7, 2013
    Trouble likes this.
  5. Trouble

davehc

No problems. Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot. This has caused a stir among various clients I deal with, so I investigated some possibilities.
    There is the usual OO, but this is not maintained, I am told. But I did come across this one, absolutely superb and with a free edition.

http://www.kingsoftstore.com/kingsoft-office-freeware.html

davehc, Mar 7, 2013
  6. Trouble

MisterRay97

I really hate DRM companies put into their products including games and software. Pirates who obtain the software illegally enjoy it better than those who have legitimately purchased it. I feel companies should remove this stupid DRM so that people would enjoy the software better. It would also result in a better and budget product since the company would focus more on the product rather than DRM. This is one of the worst things done by companies like Microsoft and I sincerely discourage such practices. If a person purchases Microsoft Office 2013, he/she can do whatever he/she wants with it. Remove the restrictions and create a more open tech world, dear software companies!

MisterRay97, Mar 25, 2013
  7. Trouble

Jacknot3d

I have Microsoft Office 2010 because I can't install the 2013, always get this errors about the activation key.

I know we shouldn't be talking about warez, but I can't find a decent version (cracked) to install.

Jacknot3d, Mar 31, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question