McAfee Trial

Discussion in 'Security' started by Kelly, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Kelly

Kelly

I've recently just finished my McAfee Trail. It was nice to have for 30 days but I don't know if it's worth it for me to continue for pay. Any thoughts on this?

Kelly, Oct 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Kelly

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

It wouldn't be my first choice, to be honest with you. A great number of BSOD reports we've gotten have had to do with McAfee drivers crashing the system. I just think it's shoddy software.

Frankly, I would use Windows 8's built-in protection and call it good, unless you need specific bloatware solutions that these products come with nowadays. Most users don't really need the "web safety" or "identity protection" crap they install, but if it warms their blankets then so be it. It's just not something I would go out of my way to advocate.

Core, Oct 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Kelly

davidhk129

This is one of those topics where you'll get 10 different opinions from 10 different persons.
    It all depends on individual needs. There is really no right or wrong answer.

That said, I run a Win 8.1 Pro rtm for a few weeks now since the rtm was released to MSDN subscribers.
    I use the computer at home, and I only use the built-in Windows Defender (aka Microsoft Security Essentials) as my realtime protection.
    I installed a free edition of Malwarebytes as my on-demand protection.
    I run Malwarebytes once a week to make sure the machine is clean.
    That's all I use and I have no security issues. There is no need to pay for a security program as long as one is careful while surfing the web.

If the computer is for business, I imagine a paid security program is warranted..... maybe.

If you decide not to purchase McAfee, please read this article and use their removal tool to remove the trial version.
    How do I cancel a free subscription trial?

davidhk129, Oct 23, 2013
  4. Kelly

Kelly

*Trial

It was nice to have knowing that I had the protection but I doubt I will go back. Core I agree it was not the best program I've ever used for this.I'm going to look into the Malwarebytes. Thanks

Kelly, Oct 24, 2013
  5. Kelly

bassfisher6522

Just keep in mind that AntiMalware software is completely different then AntiVirus softtware. There are some companies that bundle the two together.

bassfisher6522, Oct 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question