Mail in Win 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Richard, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Richard

Richard

Hi,

Just purchased a new computer and it has the worst mail I have seen. Problem I have is that I need to retain folders and have to transfer mail from old computer where I used Windows Live Mail to new computer.

Which mail program would you recommend?

Thank you.

Richard, Mar 18, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Richard

davidhk129

I have 2 laptops. One with Win 7 Home Premium, and one with Win 8.1 Pro.
    In both computers I have Windows Live Mail installed, and I configured my Bell.net email account into each computer with exactly the same account settings.
    I also have Hotmail.com, aka Outlook.com, in both computers.
    They both work perfectly.

What kind of email account do you use? POP account or Webmail account ?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    davidhk129, Mar 18, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Richard

Richard

I was using Windows Live Mail (Pop) in the old computer. I am hesitant to use it again as I feel it is being neglected due to MS Outlook. I have been told that I can use Outlook.com and it does allow me to set up folders and they in turn would be kept on the internet servers eliminating the problem I now have of trying to get the folders from my old computer to the new.

Thanks for the response. Not sure what I am going to do here???

Richard, Mar 19, 2014
  4. Richard

davidhk129

What does MS Office have to do with WLM ?
    Where did you read that "neglect" issue?

You can use Outlook.com as your web mail if you want.
    You have to decide for yourself.

davidhk129, Mar 19, 2014
  5. Richard

Richard

In regards to WLM that was told to me by an individual that works in IT?

Is WLM a desktop application? Does not work in the "Start" screen right?

Also I notice that Windows Essentials is listed in the "Default Programs" but there is no content? If I were to go with WLM do I have to download Windows Live Essentials from Microsoft?

Thanks

Richard, Mar 19, 2014
  6. Richard

davidhk129

WLM will appear in Start screen. See my screenshot at the bottom.
    Once WLM is clicked, it will open in desktop screen.

.......I notice that Windows Essentials is listed in the "Default Programs" but there is no content?
    I have no answer to that.

.......If I were to go with WLM do I have to download Windows Live Essentials from Microsoft?
    Yes. MS had dropped the word LIVE. It is now simply called Windows Essentials.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-live/essentials

Image 1.png

davidhk129, Mar 19, 2014
  7. Richard

Richard

Okay thanks. Went to the website and downloaded Photo Gallery and Windows Live Mail but I cannot locate on computer to activate?? Have any idea where they downloaded to? Did search and nothing shows up. Went back to download site and when I selected the two programs it indicates that they are already installed??

Richard, Mar 19, 2014
  8. Richard

davidhk129

Open charm bar ( Win Logo key + C ) > select Start > anywhere inside Start screen type windows live mail > what do you see on the right side of the screen ?

davidhk129, Mar 19, 2014
  9. Richard

Richard

Okay got it!!! I located it, entered my info and I pinned it to the taskbar on my desktop. Hey "Thanks" for you help on this really appreciate it. Nice to know there are people out there that can help.

Richard, Mar 19, 2014
  10. Richard

davidhk129

You are welcome.
    If you configure your email account into WLM with exactly the same account settings, I think ( not entirely sure ) all your email folders from the old computer will appear in this new computer.
    On your account settings, go to Advanced tab, you have the option of " Leave a copy of message on server ".
    If you check it, then the incoming mails will be downloaded to both computers.
    I unchecked it because I don't need to see the same mail twice, and definitely no need to save the same mail in 2 computers.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    davidhk129, Mar 19, 2014
  11. Richard

Richard

Thanks...however I believe that it would only be for any emails received from point of when I opted for that action to take place. It would not include anything from the past. I think this time around I will select that in the event that somewhere down the road this happens again.

Thanks again.

Richard, Mar 20, 2014
  12. Richard

windowsfan_deleted

Hello! I would like to recommend you a better free software, called Mozilla Thunderbird, that is a desktop email client. :)

windowsfan_deleted, Apr 18, 2014
  13. Richard

Shintaro Moderator

Actually I am about to uninstall Thunderbird. I prefer Metro.....errr......wait......Modern apps now. The current Thunderbird interface is cluttered and annoying. Mind you I have used it on and off for many years.

Shintaro, Apr 18, 2014
    windowsfan_deleted likes this.
  14. Richard

windowsfan_deleted

Everyone has his own tastes :)
    Personally, I don't like Modern apps..

15. Richard

Shintaro Moderator

Yea, it took me a while to like the new interface. But it is the future.

Shintaro, Apr 18, 2014
  16. Richard

windowsfan_deleted

You're right, I have Windows 8 on my new computer (I bought it 2 weeks ago), I need to fit in with the interface... but Microsoft has listened to us, and will reinsert Start in Windows 9 (in 8.1 there isn't).

17. Richard

Shintaro Moderator

l remember the change from windows 3.1 to windows 95. Eventually people accept the new interface.

Shintaro, Apr 18, 2014
  18. Richard

windowsfan_deleted

First of all, I will update to 8.1 (it's free :) ) and then I'll try to understand the new graphics..

19. Richard

bnewt

Just purchased a laptop for the wife that has windows 8.1. Setup Live Mail as her email, but when clicking on the mail tile in the start screen, it does not start. I noticed in your picture that Live Mail shows as a tile....how did you get that to happen. Is there a way to move the start screen tiles around?

Also, when clicking the IE tile in the start screen, it does not start at the same home page as the taskbar icon..........what gives? This is my 1st look @ windows 8.1, been using windows 7

bnewt, Dec 26, 2014
  20. Richard

davehc

If you have installed Windows Live Mail, then it should be in the lower "All Apps" windows in the start screen. Have a look, right click it, and it will offer you the option to "pin to taskbar", and "pin to Start". After you have pinned to start, you can right click, in the start screen, and move it to wherever you find it most suitable.

The IE App is just that, It is a separate program from the IE on your taskbar. You can setup your preferred home page in a similar manner as has been done in previous versions of IE.

For the Mail program not working. This is a separate program and is NOT Live Mail. . Assuming your other icons are working OK(?) I cannot answer, as to why it is inoperative, at the moment.

davehc, Dec 29, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question