Local Area Connection not showing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Scrap, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Scrap

Scrap

I have a problem with a machine operating on a genuine Russian version of 8.1. I need to add a new access point which was correctly configured on a different (english language) machine and tested properly, found to be working flawlessly.
    I then plugged the device (TP-Link AP) into the Russian machine, expecting it to give me a new "Local Area Connection" where I could change the adapter settings to the correct IP, default gateway and DNS settings. The machine simply does not show the new Local Area Connection", while on the existing connections (Ethernet and wireless) the properties button for the adaptor settings are greyed out making it impossible to make any changes to those settings. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Scrap, Oct 11, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Scrap

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

You may have to use the reset button on the access point to set it back to factory defaults. Depending how it was configured previously it may somehow be outside the scope of your current network.
    TP-Link sells a number of Access Point Models, all capable of operating in various modes. IF you have some specifics regarding the exact model name and number perhaps we might be able to help further.

Trouble, Oct 11, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Scrap

Scrap

Hi, the TP-Link model is TL-WA7210N. It is a brand new unit. Its factory settings require the adaptoer to be set to an IP address 192.168.0.100, the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the access point can then be accessed and configured using 192.168.0.254. It needs to be set as a client, so that the owner can access the existing LAN for the network. I've set up some 26 people on this network, using the same TP-Link model and never came across this problem before. The reason I set it up on my English language machine is simply a language problem on my behalf. I understand a little Russian, but nowhere near enough to set up a system in Russian.... But surely, that shouldn't (and so far never did) affect the functioning of the TP-link, nor should it result in removing the ability to change TCP/IPv4 in the adapter settings or the ability to create a new Local Area Network? I have a strong suspicion this has something to do with Windows 8.1 and have found descriptions of sinilar behaviour (problems with changing TCP/IPv4 and no local area network) on other fora. Sadly, none of the remedies offered there have resulted in a solution for this set-up.

Scrap, Oct 12, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question