Lack of options in windows mail app

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by gallicbear, Jan 9, 2014.

1. gallicbear

gallicbear

Hi there; I am using the mail app in windows 8.1. The problem I have is that when I type a letter in another language, something reprocesses my words, to make them look English. How can I prevent that? I notice there is no option to control the spell checker, if indeed this is one. Now when I use the webmail of live.com, the spell checker actually underlines a wrongly spelled word; when I can right, there is the option to decide with language I want to use. Not so with the mail app. Please correct me if I am wrong. It would be nice to have a functional mail app. Thanks in advance for your help.

gallicbear, Jan 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. gallicbear

airplayne

Personally, I have given up on using native mail clients as I usually need to check my email from multiple locations. I would suggest just using whatever email service to draft your emails. If you really need to draft something in another language I would look for a program that is designed to help with that, draft the message, then cut and paste it into a new email.

airplayne, Jan 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. gallicbear

davidhk129

@ gallicbear,
    The following may not be what you want :
    How to turn OFF Spell Check
    Go to Charm Bar ( Win logo + C ) > click Settings > Change PC settings > click PC and devices > click Typing > turn off the 2 options under Spelling.

Remember to turn Spell Check back on after you are done with typing foreign language.

davidhk129, Jan 9, 2014
  4. gallicbear

gallicbear

Thanks, davidhk129, for that great tip. All along I thought this spell check was controlled by your settings in Live Mail. But I guess Windows still controls the apps. That helps.

gallicbear, Jan 10, 2014
  5. gallicbear

gallicbear

gallicbear, Jan 10, 2014
  6. gallicbear

gallicbear

Thanks, airplayne, for your contribution. I have been using an email client, Mozilla Thunderbird, but there are instances where I want to make use of the mail app. It just stumped me in that it was reprocessing my words. It was annoying, and I didn't know why...

gallicbear, Jan 10, 2014
  7. gallicbear

davidhk129

In Win 8, you can control the Spell Check via IE10 as well as Windows.

In Win 8.1, you have to do that via Windows. IE11 does not have such option.

You are welcome.

davidhk129, Jan 10, 2014
  8. gallicbear

davehc

fwiw (Gallicbear post #4) There is no common association between the Windows 8/8.1. App and Live Mail.

davehc, Jan 10, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question