Keeping Windows Defender in the Tray

Discussion in 'Security' started by briancmorris, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briancmorris

briancmorris

Back when I had Windows 7, I had Microsoft Security Essentials, which I could easily active in the tray of the taskbar. It was convenient that I could update when I wanted and scan if I felt wary about having something wrong with my computer. Since Windows 8 put the program with Windows Defender, the only time I see the icon in the tray is when it decides it is time for a scheduled scan.

Is there a way I can keep Windows Defender in the tray at all times?

briancmorris, May 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. briancmorris

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Short answer with a "no" and a "but", long answer with a "yes" and an "if"...

There is an application you can use, following the link above. Here it is sitting pretty in my sys tray:

Sieppaa.PNG

When you first run the installer, it may install .Net Framework unless you already have that specific version. If this happens, just run the installer again after the .Net installation finishes, and it will install the actual application too.

You may need to turn real-time protection off and back on in Defender to get the icon working correctly, I know I did. Cheers.

Core, May 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. briancmorris

David B

If you read through the article, it tells you that you need to turn Windows Defender on and off once to get it working because of a glitch in the program.

David B, Aug 9, 2013
  4. briancmorris

davehc

Not sure if it would suit you, but what I did was go into the Program Files (or , possibly in your case? program Files(x86) open the windows defender folder. Right click MSAScui.exe and pin it to the taskbar

davehc, Aug 9, 2013
  5. briancmorris

David B

Since Windows Defender comes with Windows 8, your copy of Windows Defender should always be in the Program Files folder. If your version of Windows 8 is 64 Bit, your Windows Defender should be as well, and since the Program Files (x86) folder is for 32 Bit programs, it should never be in there. Now if your Windows 8 version is 32 Bit, then it should still be in the Program Files folder because there is no need for a 32 Bit folder and a 64 Bit folder because 64 Bit programs cannot run on 32 Bit systems.

David B, Aug 10, 2013
  6. briancmorris

MorgUK

As soon as I install Windows I disable Windows Defender! Why would anyone want to use it!

MorgUK, Sep 2, 2013
  7. briancmorris

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Uhhhhhh..... because it is free and designed and coded by the same people who designed and coded the operating system that it protects. But mainly because it's free

Trouble, Sep 2, 2013
    davehc likes this.
  8. briancmorris

MorgUK

Yeah but if the creators of malware are smart enough to get past Windows OS security, then they are surely smart enough to get past the built in, crappy Windows Defender!

It's the same reason people moved away from Internet Explorer years ago. Security...

MorgUK, Sep 3, 2013
  9. briancmorris

davehc

The op has not answered after four months. The context has drifted totally from the thread title, so the thread is closed. If any members wish to pursue the argument of the better Antivirus product, you will be very welcome to start a thread on the subject.

davehc, Sep 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question