I've Dumped Windows 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dipsy, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Dipsy

Dipsy

And returned to Windows 7. I gave it a fair trial using the $40 download of Win8 Pro. I decided that Win8 did not offer me anything more than Win7 and I got tired of having to work around the annoying "geared to mobile" stuff and as far as I'm concerned the thrust of the entire OS is toward touch screen equipment. Something as simple as playing a game of Solitaire required going to the metro page, clicking the icon, having to click another button requesting permission to access my Microsoft account and then waiting for the game to load. Looking around in the "store" I noticed that pretty much all the apps available indicated the app had permission to use my internet connection which seems to be asking for a drive by malware or hacker avenue attack. A lot of the stuff is also tied to the Xbox 360 which I don't have. There is no media player included in Win8 and you have to get a third party player or (after the free offer expires) buy the MS media center. Open up Windows Explorer and it is littered with folders and files for the mobile/tablet systems. I searched high and low for the folder that contained my Solitaire game stats and never was able to find it. It's easily found in Win7 so you can delete the stats to start over.

I don't know what kind of a programming nightmare might be involved but if you can have either a 32 or 64 bit version why can you not also have a mobile or desktop version? I know you can load up some programs that will make it look like you are using Win7 but why should I have a system bloated with a bunch of stuff that I neither need nor want. I don't do things that I don't enjoy like going for a walk on a cold, snowing day vs a warm, sunshine filled day and Windows 8 was just one of those things I did not enjoy or like using. Once the fun of exploring a new system began to pass and the newness factor wore off I just found it a pain to use compared to Windows 7.

Dipsy, Jan 21, 2013
    sleepyH22 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Dipsy

NemesisUK

Thats odd as there is windows media player 12 built in. The windows explorer is identical to 7 with the same folders. It's far from perfect but I've yet to find a reason to go back to 7. For one 8 uses less resources and just generally is faster for me. Each to their own though :)

NemesisUK, Jan 21, 2013
    habibk20 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Dipsy

clifford (c_c)

That is the question that has me turned off the most about Windows 8. I hope Microsoft listens to users such as yourself that actually give Windows 8 a try. As for myself, I knew I would have been just as disappointed without trying Windows 8.

clifford, Jan 21, 2013
  4. Dipsy

davehc

I don't honestly agree that a single (Start Menu) program, can be, in any sense, be regarded as "bloated".
    Once installed, particularly with the bypass of the modern screen, you are in a totally familiar desktop, which is, in all respects, compatible with Windows 7.
    Windows 8 is an innovation in OS's. Contrary to your comment, it is free choice as to whether you employ a mobile device, with or without a touchscreen, or a ditto stationary.
    It is reasonably easy to google for third party apps to replace programs such as solitaire. I do agree that it is clumsy, though, to have to return to the modern screen to run something there, if that is your wish. Why not install one of the third party start menus, install all of your previous Windows 7 programs, and have another , good, assessment of Windows 8.
    A member may be able to give you a link to the tutorial, but I believe I have read that it is possible to get the earlier Solitaire onto Windows 8.
    There is a small performance improvement, with Windows 8, but, if you feel the move forward does not benefit you, Windows 7 is an excellent program and if you like it, then no one need push you into something else.

davehc, Jan 21, 2013
    Trouble likes this.
  5. Dipsy

Dipsy

Good points Dave but I and several million other people in homes and offices around the world have desktop computers. It's all I've ever had and I don't even use a smart phone so all of the gadgets and doodads that excite the mobile crowd are of no interest or use to me. Why should I have to hunt around the internet for third party apps to make Windows 8 behave and look like Windows 7? Much easier to just use 7. The small performance improvement you mention was unnoticeable on my machine which I built myself and if there was in fact an improvement it was negated by having to use extra mouse clicks and moving the cursor around trying to get the charms app to pop out or or trying to launch an installed program. I'll not disagree that Windows 8 is an innovative OS but is it needed or necessary for the millions of desktop users? My personal feeling is that MS should have established a division to work with and set up an operating system for the touch screen/mobile users (maybe they did, I don't know). At any rate, would it have been impossible or too much trouble to maintain two separate operating systems? I have upgraded to the next iteration of Windows since 3.1 (with a couple of exceptions) and have generally been happy with the new systems, but frankly, Windows 8 just doesn't have anything at all to get me excited.

Dipsy, Jan 21, 2013
    bassfisher6522 likes this.
  6. Dipsy

davehc

No argument, Dipsy. I agree, basically, with the contents of your post. For quite other reasons, I have to stay with Windows 8. As said, in desktop mode I am unaware of any change, so it does not disturb me. I am. in fact, using the modern as a start menu, with classic as a desktop backup. In (a little) support of your argument, I read many posts around the web, from the pundits, with the overworked phrase "under the hood" improvements. I am never sure of the in depth meaning of the expression.
    One thing, of course, for the simpler user, is the heavily increased security. Unfortunately, I do believe that many users, particularly those who find their way on to forums such as this, do their darndest to disable most of it, before getting very far into its usage.

davehc, Jan 22, 2013
  7. Dipsy

Kougar Moderator

At least ya tried it Dipsy! No worries as I also stuck with W7 after using Windows Server 2012 for a few months on a test system. There's a lot of things I'd liked about 8, but the interface more than killed it for me despite the background improvements.

I have a very strong opinion about buying a major OS, then having to add in (or buy) a GUI program that reconfigures the interface. These programs always pose a risk to system stability (I remember Stardock and XP well) as even threads in this forum and elsewhere indicate. Future OS updates can also break them easily, or at last that was the case when I was using XP.

Windows Media Player requires one to buy the add-on pack or get the Windows 8 Pro version outright. It isn't included by default anymore.

Kougar, Jan 23, 2013
  8. Dipsy

Carly

In my opinion Windows Media Player was never a good music player anyway; i'd rather go for something made by a third party that actually serves as a good media player (ie. Foobar2000).

On another note; for me the "under the hood" improvements were very very very noticeable; in both my ancient thinkpad, and my top of the line $10000 gaming rig. On the thinkpad, i saw a clear 2 minute gain in boot time... with only 3gb ram and a 1.8ghz dual core processor, this thing runs much faster than my old 8 Gb ram quad core windows 7 desktop xD The speed improvement alone will never let me go back to windows 7. Win7 feels so much slower, and sluggish compared to the metro interface that just snaps back and forth without ever causing lag!

Carly, Mar 29, 2013
  9. Dipsy

Victor Leigh

Perhaps you have not noticed but there is actually a desktop version. It's called Windows 7. That's where people like you should stay. I am very sure that you will not be arrested and shot if you don't use Windows 8.

Victor Leigh, Apr 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question