Is there a Windows 7 folder to delete?

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by sethm1, Nov 5, 2012.

1. sethm1

sethm1

Upgrade from 7 to 8 Pro successful.

I seem to remember when I last did an upgrade in that new machine there was a folder with a copy of files/settings (cant recall exactly what) from the older OS, and that it was eventually safe to delete.

So, is there a left over Win 7 folder in 8 that should look for and delete?

Additionally - I am thinking of trying out one of those programs I have seen that will mimic the Start programs of Win 7. One of the things I have noticed is that Win 8 Photo folder not a mirror of the Photo Library Folder.

Have also noticed when opening an application (even IE) from the Win 8 Start screen, that the Desktop opens up first and then the application. That seems odd & slow.

Thx in advance.

sethm1, Nov 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. sethm1

Ian Administrator

Yes, there's probably an old Windows 7 folder for you to remove. I'll knock up a more detailed article on this in the coming days, but for now this is the easiest way to delete it. If you try to remove the folder manually, you'll end up with permission errors on some files.

On the start screen, type in "cleanup" then click Settings > "Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files". Then, select C:.

Once it's loaded, click the "clean up system files" button, select "Clean up system files" and select C: again. Then, tick the "Previous Windows installation" box and proceed to cleanup.

Ian, Nov 6, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. sethm1

Ian Administrator

Ian, Nov 6, 2012
  4. sethm1

sethm1

Great - thanks.

sethm1, Nov 7, 2012
  5. sethm1

JCM

Worked like a charm. Thanks